Towing Weight

Jan 21, 2010
Visit site
Hi Everyone i am new to caravaning just thinking of buying my first van, my car is a vauxhall astra 1.9 cdti sri and i fancy a Bailey ranger 460/4 or a 550/6 the later of which according to what tow car would be a 87% towing match is this totally unaccepable or could i get away with it ?????? some people i have spoke to seem to think its only a rough guide !!!!!

cheers Mike

Sep 11, 2009
Visit site
Hi Mike as long as it's the loaded weight (MTPLW) of the van that comes to 87% match then you should be fine, as long as the van is loaded correctly and you don't drive like a loon you'll be fine, most will say the 85% rule is vey outdated

Regards

Mike

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Michael,

You have fallen foul of the propaganda about 85%. It is not a rule, and it has no legal significance at all, however, whilst you are not obliged to conform to it, the underlying principal of keeping the caravan as light as possible does make good sense.

It is doubtful that the difference between 85 and 87% would be noticeable, so you probably will get away with it.

I feel I should remind you that the on line web sites that off outfit matching have been shown to contain errors, so you should check the figures yourself. Obtain the weight information about your car an caravan from the vehicle registration documents you have.

The other thing you should be aware of,is that simply getting a favourable towing ratio does not guarantee a good tow. Other factors have just as much impact on the dynamics of the outfit, so it is important to get the loading inside each of the vehicles to get the correct nose load. The condition of the vehicles mechanics and tyres,and not forgetting the one element that can have the greatest effect and that is the driving style.

Jan 21, 2010
Visit site
Hello Michael,

You have fallen foul of the propaganda about 85%. It is not a rule, and it has no legal significance at all, however, whilst you are not obliged to conform to it, the underlying principal of keeping the caravan as light as possible does make good sense.

It is doubtful that the difference between 85 and 87% would be noticeable, so you probably will get away with it.

I feel I should remind you that the on line web sites that off outfit matching have been shown to contain errors, so you should check the figures yourself. Obtain the weight information about your car an caravan from the vehicle registration documents you have.

The other thing you should be aware of,is that simply getting a favourable towing ratio does not guarantee a good tow. Other factors have just as much impact on the dynamics of the outfit, so it is important to get the loading inside each of the vehicles to get the correct nose load. The condition of the vehicles mechanics and tyres,and not forgetting the one element that can have the greatest effect and that is the driving style.
Thank you for you advice i will check the weight's my self and hopefully get myself a van in time for summer, is there anything i need to look out for when buying a Bailey Ranger 550/6 or the smaller 460/4

Feb 15, 2009
Visit site
HI Micheal the best thing to do (if poss) go to your local weighbridge get the weight of your car (without anyone in it) then get the weight of your van (should be on a plate near the door area ) and workout the % but as said before by others its not just the % its how you load the car&van, heavy thing over the axle, lighter to the rear/front/sides plus you will have to find the nose weight for your car & van. i towed the 460/4 with a renault laguna great tow very stable .i think your astra is slighttly heavier than the laguna so you should be o.k.

cheers Duggie

Jan 21, 2010
Visit site
HI Micheal the best thing to do (if poss) go to your local weighbridge get the weight of your car (without anyone in it) then get the weight of your van (should be on a plate near the door area ) and workout the % but as said before by others its not just the % its how you load the car&van, heavy thing over the axle, lighter to the rear/front/sides plus you will have to find the nose weight for your car & van. i towed the 460/4 with a renault laguna great tow very stable .i think your astra is slighttly heavier than the laguna so you should be o.k.

cheers Duggie
thanks for all the reply's eveyone

and Douglas how did you find the van are you happy with it ?? is there anything you dont like ??

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts