Towing with a Chrsyler PT Cruiser?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I am thinking of buying a PT for a second car. I will keep my Rover 75 which I currently tow with, but was interested to know if anyone was towing with a PT cruiser and if so how well it performed? It may be that I get a towbar fitted so that I have a choice on what vehicle I take? Any info about the car much appreciated.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Paul/Ruth, be aware that although the PT has a relatively high kerbweight (around 1600kgs), the manufacturers maximum towing weight is low (about 1000kgs from memory). The problem with American cars is that in the US if you want to tow anything bigger than a jet-ski, you use the 4x4/pick-up (as most households have one!!!), which are usually rated as being suitable to tow a small country!!!! Consequently, smaller family cars are only given low tow ratings. It doesn't necessarily mean that the design of the car isn't capable of more, but that is all the manufacturers thought anyone would want to tow with it. Unfortunately the max. tow limit by the manufacturer is the max. you can tow by law.

Interestingly, PC had a PT featured this month and it lists the kerbweight as being over 2000kgs and a 3000kgs towing limit, which I am sure is a spelling mistake!!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Gary

Thanks for the info, looks like this is the right decision to keep the Rover for towing then. Was just wondering whether the PT Cruiser would be any good as a second car (just in case we needed to use it) but does not sound like it will be.

I actually missed the article (only buy the magazine periodically). Does it review the car in detail, is it worth me buying for general info on the car? Cheers R&P

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Gary's right. The PT Cruiser has an unusually low maximum permissible towload for a car of that size - only 1000kg. US car manufacturers are very conservative, mainly because of the extreme conditions to which they have to test in order to keep their backs clean with regard to absurdly high product liability claims.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts