Towing with a stabiliser

Sep 11, 2005
Visit site
Hi all

We have just had our second-hand caravan serviced before we start using it. Someone had given us an Alko stabiliser & we got them to fit it at the same time. We'd towed the van a bit without a stabiliser & hardly knew it was there. I felt that it was a lot more "jerky" with the stabiliser on but my husband says I'm imagining it & there were just more potholes in the road. Is the stabiliser likely to have any effect on towing- apart from the desired one, I mean?

Thanks

Sue

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
You don't say whether you were towing the caravan over the same stretch of road and under the same loading conditions with and without the stabiliser, because only that would allow a true comparison. Assuming that all conditions were the same, the only explanation I can think of is that with the stabiliser deployed, the connection between car and caravan is much stiffer and all movement encountered by the caravan is transmitted more to the car. If the effect is noticeable, this would suggest that the car has a relatively soft suspension.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Frank & Sue, I used a blade type stabaliser for many years prior to going over to a Winterhoff hitch type. I personally never found any problems with the ride on several van / car combinations.

Perhaps the best bet is for Frank to tow without telling Sue if it is fitted or not and see if she can tell the difference.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Another possible cause that has just occurred to me is worn out shock absorbers on the back axle of the car. Maybe they still work alright when then car is not fully laden but unable to cope with towing conditions. It would be worth having them checked.

Sep 11, 2005
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestions- we do have a car with a soft suspension but I think Frank prefers the idea of "testing" me with the stabiliser off & on to see if I can tell the difference...

Sue

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts