Towing with a Tesla

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Sent the photos to my grandson who has just had his new Tesla a couple of days. Caravan must have had good handbrake with movers engaged when the driver nailed it.

Reactions: GaryB
Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
Apparently, according to a pal who has one, they are only rated to tow 750kg. :oops:
Wonder what the trailer in the picture weighs? There IS a handbrake lever, so it's clearly braked ! .

Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
This one appears to be a model Y which has a 3500lbs/1600kg limit. Looking at the damage it must have been towing a house!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
This must also mean that…………….
The caravan was well built 😲
mel
If the caravan didn't move, then pulling force from the car only goes through chassis of the caravan, it may not stress the caravan body. so it only proves the chassis was well built.

Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
I’m not sure how they’re constructed but whatever jointing technique they use it’s clearly not been done well here or it’s fatigued through work hardening or such. I think they’re an aluminium monocoque?

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
If the caravan didn't move, then pulling force from the car only goes through chassis of the caravan, it may not stress the caravan body. so it only proves the chassis was well built.
Well, at least some part of it was well built. Still 😲
mel

Reactions: Dustydog
Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
The towing limits seem to be based around US “trailer hitch” class limits. 2000lbs (900kgs) class 1 and 3500lbs (1600kgs) class 2.

I was bored last night so searched high & low for more information on the one that failed in the picture but drew a blank.

Jul 23, 2021
Visit site
Reactions: GaryB
Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
Model S has a 1000kg limit which looks to be the model here. It’d be interesting to know exactly what they were pulling,

May 7, 2012
Visit site
My feeling is the tow bar was fitted incorrectly, but if the caravan did not move it might also be its handbrake was on, although that should not have caused the damage.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Had a look inside my grandsons new Tesla Dual Motor. The car is black and to my eye not an attractive shape. It would suit a 155mm turret. Inside it’s all leather but black except for a strip resembling faux birch across the dash. Nicely made but not a particularly nice place to be. Whereas Volvos, RR or Jaguars have a much nicer interior design.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Had a look inside my grandsons new Tesla Dual Motor. The car is black and to my eye not an attractive shape. It would suit a 155mm turret. Inside it’s all leather but black except for a strip resembling faux birch across the dash. Nicely made but not a particularly nice place to be. Whereas Volvos, RR or Jaguars have a much nicer interior design.
I agree , very automaton, AI, dull and uninspiring looks. Now the curves on my Austin A35 van were legendary😉

Reactions: otherclive
Aug 12, 2023
Visit site
I agree , very automaton, AI, dull and uninspiring looks. Now the curves on my Austin A35 van were legendary😉
My mum had one of these. Quite capable tow vehicle assuming you didn't want to tow anything heavier than a bike. Route couldn't contain any hills and best done with good tail wind and fit cyclist.

Jul 23, 2021
Visit site
They are quite "marmite" cars. I don't like the lack of the driver display on the model 3 and model Y, but Volvo are doing that with the EX30 too. I am also not a fan of the outside. BUT if it were a choice for me between a Tesla Y or going back to a combustion engine, it would be an easy choice. I would take pretty much any EV over a combustion car now. And that also gives me pause for thought. If my choice were between an ICE that could tow the caravan, and an EV that couldn't meaning I would have to give up the caravan, I am not sure I would take the ICE just to keep the caravan...

Reactions: otherclive
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
They are quite "marmite" cars. I don't like the lack of the driver display on the model 3 and model Y, but Volvo are doing that with the EX30 too. I am also not a fan of the outside. BUT if it were a choice for me between a Tesla Y or going back to a combustion engine, it would be an easy choice. I would take pretty much any EV over a combustion car now. And that also gives me pause for thought. If my choice were between an ICE that could tow the caravan, and an EV that couldn't meaning I would have to give up the caravan, I am not sure I would take the ICE just to keep the caravan...
Not denying they are good cars but the external and internal aesthetics don’t do anything for me. But if offered one as the company chariot I would say “ yes please”

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts