Towing with an M class

May 12, 2006
Visit site
Hi to all

I am looking at buying an M class 2.7 diesel,it has a full size spare fitted onto the rear door ( I believe the bracket is a merc option ) does anyone know if this affects the nose weight figures etc after removing the get you home spare??. I will tow a Bessacarr 625GL.

Thanks

Frank

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
As the towbar is not attached to the spare wheel carrier, removing the spare wheel will have absolutely no effect on the permissible noseweight as this is determined solely by structural constraints. The only effect that removing the spare wheel will have is to reduce the kerbweight and consequently raise the available payload.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The M Class tows very well, particularly the auto version. The only problem I can see with the external spare wheel carrier (apart from being ugly) is whether you can still open the tailgate while hitched.

My ML relies on the skinny spare ( which, touch wood, is still unused in 40k miles) so I don't know the answer personally. The rated ball load is 150 Kg. which should enable you to get to the full 7% loading. The rear tyre pressures should be increased when using this loading - look on the inside of the fuel filler flap for the details.

May 12, 2006
Visit site
I have decided on a cost basis to look at the Jeep GC. Thanks for the info on the ML it's not wasted as our son has one, and he will want our caravan as a ski chalet in the winter.

Thanks

Val & Frank

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts