Towing with emergency spare wheel

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Dec 6, 2007
Visit site
I carry a space saver in the Voyager [its LPG tank is where the spare lives so the spare is now in the boot] and i'd use it to get me out of trouble when towing, i only tow a 1200kgs caravan so i'm not as 'loaded' as some people can be. i might do a 2 way swap and put it on the rear if i had a front punture though.

I'll only limp off to a tyre fitter though.

You guys with odd sized tyres, what i do as my local tyre place doesn't stock my size is when i have a pair of tyres changed i keep the 'best one' and take it home. at least then i have a tyre to get put on whilst they get me a new tyre. Perhaps not so vital if you're in civilisation, but here in N Wales its a useful trick!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Gareth

I can fully understand smaller spares when space demands but the XT has enough room and the wheel is full size but not allowed for towing .

I always keep the best tyre when replacing a pair but I have it on the spare wheel.

It has always been possible with every car I have owned in 47 years motoring to use the spare tyre plus one other new one when a pair of replacemant tyres were needed thus halving the cost.

Its not now possible so 2 new tyres will cost in my pocket terms

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Gareth

I can fully understand smaller spares when space demands but the XT has enough room and the wheel is full size but not allowed for towing .

I always keep the best tyre when replacing a pair but I have it on the spare wheel.

It has always been possible with every car I have owned in 47 years motoring to use the spare tyre plus one other new one when a pair of replacemant tyres were needed thus halving the cost.

Its not now possible so 2 new tyres will cost in my pocket terms

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We have just bought a Citroen C4 Grand Picasso and the first extra was a full size spare wheel and tyre. The pressure foam is useless if the tyre is destroyed and you cannot legally tow on an emergency wheel and tyre. Be safe buy a spare and stick it the boot.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Gavel - the law is murky on this issue.

It's an offence under UK Construction & Use Regulations to use tyres of different size or construction on the same axle but the offence isn't prosecuted if travelling directly to have a damaged tyre repaired or replaced. The law doesn't distinguish between solo or towing.

Some car manufacturers advise against towing while a space-saver is fitted but other permit towing.

It's clearly important to reduce speed with a space-saver down to 50mph, even lower if towing, and to have the damaged tyre repaired/replaced as soon as possible even if that delays a journey - or pay for a full size wheel/tyre as many prefer.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I managed to get a full size spare as the 17in wheel on the last X Trails will fit and is the same size exactly but with a different pattern on the 6 spokes

The tyre is identical and the rim and tyre complete cost

Dec 6, 2007
Visit site
I saw a pugeot 307 [i think] yesterday it was on 215,65 R 16 alloys, the STEEL spare was fitted to the front NS, a 195,65 R16 MARKED UP AS EMERGENCY USE ONLY 50MPH / 50 MILES MAX !!

Seems a bit OTT to me but i suppose if its not the same size its against C&U so needs to be declaired emergency use only.

Mar 7, 2008
Visit site
The interesting replies seem to have moved from car tyres to caravan tyes. Our concern is that as Honda say don't tow using the emergency spare and we have been told by 3 tyre dealers that the CRV's 225x65 tyres are "order only" and never kept in stock and should a tyre not be repairable and its a weekend/holiday then you cannot continue the journey.

Should we carry a full sized spare even if it doesn't fit in the spare wheel well. What do others think?
Hi if you take out the packing around the space saver a full

size steel wheel with matching tyre will fit the tyre well with

approx a 2mm intrution into the boot area which is no inconvenience.By the way steel rim and tyre where purchased from

my local tyre dealer.

TRENDING THREADS