Towing with LR FreelanderTD4

Sep 18, 2006
Visit site
Hi, we are very new to caravanning and are looking to buy an Abbey Vogue 495. The Freelander's kerbweight is approx 1600kg and the vogue fully loaded (MPTLM) weighs 1460kg, using the 85% rule for matching outfits ours works out at 91%. As I have never towed before will this be a problem i.e stability/safety etc? also would the Freelander(auto)cope with pulling this van?

Could someone also give a rough estimate(%)of what the dealer should be giving off this van or what extras I could ask for, for a cash/no partX deal?

Thank you.

Feb 21, 2005
Visit site
Hi, My Freelander, TD4 (2.0 ltr) weighs 1525kg. therefore this would equate to 95.7% assuming that your Freelander is the same type as mine. If you have the 1.8 petrol you'll be in for a surprise, lacking immensely in pulling power, a 2.0 ltr Turbo Diesel, no problem. The Freelander 2.0 TD4 is capable of towing 1800kg so no problem at all with this particular model. 85% is purely a rule, not the law.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hiya John, you're obviously doing the right thing by voicing you're concerns and asking for help. I'll try to help, but at the end of the day, if it's legal, you pay your money and you take your chance. So here goes.

The 85 percent rules isn't necessarily there for beginners. it's a figure bought about by considerable experience within the industry within the UK. It would seem that the Freelander can tow up to 1800kg and that's great, but let me put this to you. You can tow on or near the maximum for years and never experience the tail wagging the dog, or need to make an emergency maneuver. Because of this, no matter how long you have been towing, you wont have the knowledge to help, should you get into a tricky situation. Only by getting into unusual or even dangerous situations will you develop the skills needed to tow at 100% and over. Totally impractical I know, so you will have to rely on the equipment you have, to do the best it can, to avoid an incident. I have been towing for some time now and apart from getting to places like Stowford Farm, have had it easy, so have learned little. I once had the caravan snaking (down to my own stupidity) but having a well matched car meant, although it was a worry at the time, it didn't develop any further and was easily controllable.

There are those on the forum that tow to the max weights and have never had a problem, I say good luck to them, and I really mean it, nobody wants a van and car spread across the motorway. However, my advice is for you to get (if practical) the best match you can and when you become a seasoned caravaner (no doubt you will) still respect the 85% rule.

As for getting a better deal, that's a whole new question itself and has many answers but if you're fortunate to have a few dealerships near where you live, playing one off against another might help. This is also the season of new models being rolled out, so if you don't mind this years caravan, they are usually priced to sell. The dealer can clear his show area and they are usually in stock too. Ask for a starter pack regardless, things like a battery, steps and crockery all help to bring the overall price down, being cheeky with it, often works.

Hope this helps

Sep 18, 2006
Visit site
Hi many thanks for YOUR adivce, I am seriously thinking of changing my year old freelander maybe a kia sorento, apart from a bailey I dont think I have much choice as im looking for a large 4 berth fixed bed once again thanks John R

Apr 23, 2005
Visit site
John,

Excellent advice from Lol.

I been towing off and on for 30+ years - used to tow a small Monza down to the south of France with an early 1.4 Orion!

Now pull a 1300kg Compass with 2.0TDI Mondeo which for 4 seasons has been a breeze....

I month ago we returned to Midlands frm Cornwall with a nice following wind until we turned north at Exeter then we got near Bridgewater and was all over the place till reduced speed to 50mph. Same thing can happen if you encounter a sudden squall so its important to match your outfit whatever yr experience.

Good Luck and best regards

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
John, we are picking up a Vogue 495 next saturday with our freelander td4 will let you know how it fairs, match is around 92%. Have been towing for 5 years now but still a bit concerned about towing near 100% although that is % of kerb weight. The Freelander has a max tow of 1800kg, which is confusing as I thought if you towed over 100% it was illegal!!!

Prahap Lutz could enlighten us?

didnt get a penny off price as a new model for 2007 and selling fast, you might be lucky at the shows though, oh and we got a great deal on our trade in so its swings and roundabouts i guess

Kevin H

Mar 8, 2006
Visit site
just to confuse thing even more i've just looked in my manual and this is what it say's

unladen weight 1540kg-1635kg

max gross vehicle weight 2080kg

max trailer weight 2000kg

gross train weight 3880kg

Then it say's if the trailer weight exceeds 1800kg, the vehicle payload must be restricted (to less than the gross vehicle weight)to ensure the loaded combination is within the gross train weight limit.

So going by the gross train weight you should be ok, I think or maybe not, god i'm confused.

Sep 18, 2006
Visit site
John, we are picking up a Vogue 495 next saturday with our freelander td4 will let you know how it fairs, match is around 92%. Have been towing for 5 years now but still a bit concerned about towing near 100% although that is % of kerb weight. The Freelander has a max tow of 1800kg, which is confusing as I thought if you towed over 100% it was illegal!!!

Prahap Lutz could enlighten us?

didnt get a penny off price as a new model for 2007 and selling fast, you might be lucky at the shows though, oh and we got a great deal on our trade in so its swings and roundabouts i guess

Kevin H
Hi Kevin,

Have sought advice from a transport manager, perhaps another perspective on this, - he reckons when comparing kerb weight of vehicle (hand book 1555kg) to MPTLM of caravan (1460kg):- 1460/1555= 0.938 x 100 = 93.8% but when you add passengers etc and luggage will increase kerb weight of vehicle, therefore driver/wife and two children approx 170kg +40 kg luggage increases kerb weight of vehicle to: 1555+170=1725kg

Now if we take 1460/1725= 84.6% which is now under the 85% rule if you fill the van to maximum MPTLM.

Not sure if this is O.K but since this topic is a grey area have deceided to go with the Abbey Vogue. You will have yours before us, so any feedback would be gratefully accepted.

Thanks John

Sep 18, 2006
Visit site
Many thanks to everyone that has replied, it seems a very grey area, dealers have given me conflicting advice, usually dependant on caravan that they want to sell!! Since it is a minefield for new starters like myself and family it is good to have a forum like this for people to access to share advice and gain knowledge.

John R

Mar 8, 2006
Visit site
Many thanks to everyone that has replied, it seems a very grey area, dealers have given me conflicting advice, usually dependant on caravan that they want to sell!! Since it is a minefield for new starters like myself and family it is good to have a forum like this for people to access to share advice and gain knowledge.

John R
When you find out how much you can actually tow please tell me i am really confused

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts