Towing with new Vectra

Aug 12, 2005
Visit site
Hi, we have just purchased a Sterling Europa 520 RT. I will be getting a company car in Sept which will be a new Vauxhall Vectra 1.9 diesel 5dr with a kerbweight of 1469kg, firstly am I ok to tow with this set up and secondly do you include weights of the people and luggage in the car like you allow the extra weight in the caravan with awning, equipment etc. I hope someone can help as I am now totally confussed about weights, allowable payloads, MTPLW and so on. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!PLEASE

Aug 15, 2005
Visit site
Hi craig

I tow a 2005 Elldis Avante 556 (MTPLM 1440 Kg)with a vauxhall signum 2.0 tdi, (the floor pans of both cars are the same), with no problems all round cornwall and devon with 4 people in the car, and the new 1900 cdti engine will give more torgue and power so i wouldn't worry about it they tow great.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Craig,

I can't help you with the caravan as I do not have access to any information about its weight and pay load capacity, But hopefully I can give you some advice about how to check for your self.

Rather than trying to re-invent the wheel, check out the following web address. This covers most of the details you need to know.

http://www.campingandcaravanningclub.co.uk/technical.htm
In particular check out the Data Sheets under Safe towing.

If you passed you driving test after Jan 1997, then your licence restricts what you can tow, so just read up and these sheets should help to clarify your needs.

Aug 12, 2005
Visit site
Hi craig

I tow a 2005 Elldis Avante 556 (MTPLM 1440 Kg)with a vauxhall signum 2.0 tdi, (the floor pans of both cars are the same), with no problems all round cornwall and devon with 4 people in the car, and the new 1900 cdti engine will give more torgue and power so i wouldn't worry about it they tow great.
Hi Carl,

Thanks for the info, the caravans MTPLM according to the handbook is 1300kg so everything looks fine, cheers.

Aug 12, 2005
Visit site
Hello Craig,

I can't help you with the caravan as I do not have access to any information about its weight and pay load capacity, But hopefully I can give you some advice about how to check for your self.

Rather than trying to re-invent the wheel, check out the following web address. This covers most of the details you need to know.

http://www.campingandcaravanningclub.co.uk/technical.htm
In particular check out the Data Sheets under Safe towing.

If you passed you driving test after Jan 1997, then your licence restricts what you can tow, so just read up and these sheets should help to clarify your needs.
Hi John, thanks for your help. Fantastic link to c & c website very informative and has cleared up all the confusion with the different weights, cheers.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
I presume that you have bought the Europa 520 new too, in which case the MTPLM of the current model according to Swift/Sterling's website is 1388kg. If the kerbweight of the Vectra is 1469kg, this would equate to a weight ratio of 94%.

According to Swift/Sterling, the MIRO of the 'van is 1172kg, so the payload would be 216kg.

The GVW of the Vectra is 2025kg so that has a payload of 556kg including the 78kg noseweight.

From the figure of the kerbweight that you quote, I assume that you are referring to the 120hp version of the 1.9 diesel and not the 150hp.

Aug 12, 2005
Visit site
I presume that you have bought the Europa 520 new too, in which case the MTPLM of the current model according to Swift/Sterling's website is 1388kg. If the kerbweight of the Vectra is 1469kg, this would equate to a weight ratio of 94%.

According to Swift/Sterling, the MIRO of the 'van is 1172kg, so the payload would be 216kg.

The GVW of the Vectra is 2025kg so that has a payload of 556kg including the 78kg noseweight.

From the figure of the kerbweight that you quote, I assume that you are referring to the 120hp version of the 1.9 diesel and not the 150hp.
Hi, thanks for your help. To answer your questions, the caravan is the 1997 model which states a mtplw in the handbook of 1300kg (assuming the handbook is correct). Yes the Vectra is the 120hp model. Am I correct in saying the older model 520 is lighter than the new one? Based on this what % weight ratio do you come out with.

Cheers.

May 23, 2005
Visit site

I have Vectra STI CDTI 1.9 which weighs 1525kg.I tow an Eldiss Avante 540 special edition with no problems what so ever.The power is very good and it will cruise in 6th gear no problem.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Hi, thanks for your help. To answer your questions, the caravan is the 1997 model which states a mtplw in the handbook of 1300kg (assuming the handbook is correct). Yes the Vectra is the 120hp model. Am I correct in saying the older model 520 is lighter than the new one? Based on this what % weight ratio do you come out with.

Cheers.
If the MTPLM is 1300kg, the weight ratio will improve to 88%

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts