Toyota Land Cruiser

May 12, 2006
Visit site
I haven't seen much written about the Land Cruiser as a towcar. It's just that we have had a good offer on a New Lc4 automatic D4-d. Just looking to see if anyone tows with this model ????

Val & Frank

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Great towcar - very capable. Superb comfort and reliability.

But Red Ken will not like you and call you an idiot if you take it to London. But Red Ken is also the guy who likened the massacre in Red Square to the poll tax riots, as well as calling a Jewish reporter a Nazi when asked a difficult question by that reporter.

And if that isn't reason enough to consider one as a tow car I do not know what is.

May 12, 2006
Visit site
When Red Ken sorts out the tube and the buses I will maybe just maybe start to listen. Still we could all hold a rally in central London and refuse to pay the congestion charges, afterall he thought it was ok not to pay the Poll Tax.

I think we should take one MP a week and place them in the stocks, until they manage the country better.

Frank

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Bullet proof build quality, comfortable and will pull virtually any caravan you may own in the future. All the credentials in my opinion for a great towcar.

Jul 26, 2005
Visit site
Hi Val & Frank,

PC mag recommend the D-4D within the best 5 full sized 4x4's so it has their seal of approval. I note it has noseweight limit of 150kg and a max pull of 2300kg with a KW of 2020kg so that means it will pull any van on the market and make mincemeat of say a Senator at 1700 MPTLM.

Jap motors are generally 100% reliable and the Landcruiser has a bullet proof reputation - I remeber reading posts from owners who only ever serviced theirs for 150k with nothing ever going wrong or bits falling off.

The downside is that some will tell you that they are old fashioned and don't handle as well as a BMW or Range Rover so if you want the latest style, panache and grand prix performance a Toyota is not for you.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
David W is spot on the LC is rather agricultural compared to the latest entrants, but like the Shogun, which sits in a similar vein, you get a lot for your money if you are willing to sacrifice drivability. If you want maximum seating the rear seats are only kiddie size too. I thought you were going for the Jeep?

May 12, 2006
Visit site
The Jeep is still very high on our list, I am a little concerned with regards the reliability V the Toyota. It comes down to the deal I suppose, to much choice don't make for an easy decsion.

Frank

Jul 26, 2005
Visit site
If reliability is a deciding factor then Toyota has got to win hands down.

My Jeep experience has certainly soured me against the Marque - a short ownership of a 96 Cherokee which had dire build quality and several costly failures put me right off and seemingly the modern ones are no better.

My son in law uses a 2003 Wrangler for a general runabout and horsebox tug on his farm and it has cost a fortune in repairs and servicing. The clutch went at 50K along with the offside suspension joints and assorted bits in the rear suspension - the bill was

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Frank for that money you could get a Disco3, which solo is far and away the better drive and is also much heavier which can help. I won't say it will be as reliable as a Toyota, but my second hasn't had a single issue. They seemed to have got the software issues sorted now too. Cheaper to run and better residuals too, if you look at like for like they aren't that much different on price. The Range Rover Sport might be just out of reach but they are great to drive if you don't need maximum space.

Mine is towing my Fleetwood Heritage 640ES and isn't lacking, seating for 7 adults and a great ride, go on spoil yourself!!! ;)

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Frank, have you tried a Disco3 that is available for that money and as a car beats either hands down. Reliability seems to have been sorted judging by my latest one which I have had no issues with at all.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts