Toyota Landcruiser

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi All,

I've just bitten the bullet and traded my Freelander for a Landcruiser. With the Toyota spec it should be an awesome towcar and I can't wait to try it out.

I need to get some advice from other Landcruiser owners, I've tried the salesman but you get the impression that they are just telling you what they think, not what they know!

1. To couple up the ALCO 2004 to the Freelander I had to fit an extension block between the towball and the towbar. Will I have to do the same with the Landcruiser or is there some other technique involved?

2. The boot area of the Landcruiser is completely open so I am concerned about security. Has anyone fitted a screen type rear parcel shelf? I am told that they are a bit of a pig to install.

3. What sort of mpg can I expect towing a van of about 1550kg?

I just hope I can get this to post - I've been trying since Sunday. I cant think how many times I've typed this out just to have it disappear so I'm trying to paste it from word this time.

Jul 26, 2005
Visit site
Hi Clive,

Too many Clives here it could get confusing! (only joking Mate there are lots of Dave's too)

Talk to Frank & Val they have just bought a Landcruiser and must have experienced the same probs.

It wasn't you by the way the site has been playing up lately - EMAP need to spend some of their hard earned, well ours too cos we buy the mags, on a decent new format!

Jun 7, 2005
Visit site
Clive

I tow with a Land cruiser, it's an Amazon so the load cover is standard so I can't help with that one.

You can fit a spacer but I would splash out if I were you and buy the correct Alko ball. I used a spacer for a couple of years but recently changed to the Alko ball and what a difference it made on coupling/uncoupling.

Prior to fitting the Alko ball it was difficult to uncouple and clearly the standard ball I was using was fractionally bigger in diameter, probably just on the top end of the manufacturing tolerance. It's much easier now and I wish I had done it in the first place.

May 12, 2006
Visit site
I have typed this some many times, I know it off by heart.

We picked up a new LC4 D4D Automatic on Monday. Yesterday we had a Tow-Trust towbar fitted with twin electrics etc.The towbar cost

May 12, 2006
Visit site
The LC log book arrived today it quotes.

Max permissible mass 2850 kg

Mass in Service 2265 kg

I presume 2265 is the Kerb Weight ??

It also quotes Technical Permissible Maximum Towable mass of the trailer Braked 2800kg unbraked 750kg

Val & Frank

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Clive [Cardiff]

I bought a new LC3 in Feb. 06 5 door D4-D Auto p/x'd my 01 Diesel Auto Colorado. To answer your questions:-

No.1 On the 01 car I fitted a spacer to clear the caravan Alko lever [I used an Alko Ball]. On the new car I specified a Witter towbar retained my old Alko Ball and no Spacer was needed. Cost fitted

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
Hello Clive. Well I AM envious. In 2002 I bought a brand new Land Cruiser (Amazon; it was the 4.7 litre V8 petrol VXR version with masses of torque and a superb V8 engine. It would happily cruise at 100 mph all day if required. Fuel economy wasn't an issue but it wasn't terrible. I never did tow with it but it would have laughed at anything; such was the might of the engine.

Oh yes, and I was in Saudi Arabia at the time where you don't see too many caravans; except those relating to camels !!

Seriosuly though, IF I could afford it, I would have another LC tomorrow; it's reliablity and ruggedness make it a fabulous off road vehicle and tow car (surely !?).

John

May 12, 2006
Visit site
Hooked up the new van today and just pulled the caravan out of the dealers yard, only a few hundred feet so no real feel for it yet. Just a question, I seemed to be able to see to the back quite easily by just turning the mirrors out a little. Do you fit extension mirrors whilst towing ?? The mirrors on the LC seem to be quite large as it is ??

Val & Frank

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Frank

I find the rear view via side mirrors is fine - extensions not required. My van has a rear window so I also have a good view of anything following close and directly behind.

You will probably find the engine is a bit 'tight' for 1-2k.

Enjoy and happy caravanning.

Mike

May 12, 2006
Visit site
Hi Mike,

I just posted under the insurance thread about the comprehensive break down cover offered by Toyota. It appears that if you breakdown whilst towing you are only covered for the recovery of a van upto 25ft. The RAC provide the cover and they do recover vans over 25ft only they want an extra

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi All,

Thank's for all the info. I've been a busy boy since I last posted on this thread.

I wasnt sure whether to fit a cover to the loadspace or get the windows tinted. In the end I took Mikes advice and bought a tonneau cover from Toyota. As you said Mike it was easy to fit, but it is always a bit nerve racking to be cutting into the panels of your new car. I take your point about tightening the screws for the rear brackets, I used a stubby pozi to get at them.

I've just finished the towbar electrics and tested them with the car, lo and behold they worked!!

I've got two positions on the towbar and I found that with the ball fitted to the lower position the van was level and I didnt need to fit the spacer.

I was at my bowls club last Friday evening and some plonker reversed into my new baby and wrote off the front bumper. Thats another chunk of messing about I could have done without. Still he's agreed to pay the bill without bothering with insurance so it should be OK.

We're off to Dorset for the bank holiday week, I cant wait to get out and give the motor a go at tugging.

Clive

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts