Tracker - scary experiences!

Jun 18, 2008
Visit site
Tracker came as standard with our Bailey. During the first year assumed everything was working ok, but never (thankfully) had cause to use the tracking service. At the end of the year I expected a renewal notice for the subscription, but nothing came. Contacted the dealer to confirm the device was registered -it turned out that it never had been registered by Tracker, though the dealer had a confirmation fax from them. Admin blunder at Tracker end, it seems. Needless to say we got the second year free, but again never needed to test out the tracking service. At the end of the second year not just one renewal notice arrived, but two! Obviously by now I am seriously doubting their competence! I sent one renewal form back with my credit card details and waited for the registration document. And waited. Nothing. Checked my credit card statement - no payment. Phoned them, gave my card details again. Waited. My card was debited. Waited another week - at last the registration document arrived today! However, in the same post (I don't believe it!) came a Final Reminder letter from Tracker! Soemthing about left and right hands comes to mind. But more seriously, if their administration is so disorganised, what hope do I have that they could handle a genuine theft alert competently? Anyone had good/bad experiences of Tracker?

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
There are many tracking devcies out there. Are you sure that it is Tracker and not Phantom Tracker or one of the many other brands? I was under the impression that Bailey only start to fit the actual Tracker Monitor in late 2009 to the Senator range.

Aug 4, 2005
Visit site
Yes Ian it's definitely Tracker that's fitted to Bailey vans.

I bought my Senator new in the Spring of 2008. At that time, or in my case at least, the new owner had to phone Tracker to register and activate the system. When I phoned I asked one or two general questions about the system including something along the lines of "will that be the system live from today?" The Tracker guy replied that it had been active since the day it had been installed on the Bailey production line. When I asked how had the system been powered he answered with "by the caravan 12volt leisure battery of course". I explained that leisure batteries are not fitted as standard by the manufacturer but by the new owner when the van is bought. Seems Tracker were not fully aware of this. Anyway he ran some tests, found out the system had been installed in late November and had been running on its back up battery from then. The system had sent out warning signals that the battery was running low in January but because it wasn't registered to anyone these had not been acted on. Turns out my system had a totally knackered back up battery. An engineer arrived and fitted a complete new system a couple of days later.

Regarding annual subscription - last year Tracker were offering to Bailey owners a lifetime subscription at

May 5, 2005
Visit site
Havent renewed mine for a few reasons,I wasnt happy with Trackers efficiency,dont think the police would be straight after mine if it was stolen,wouldnt want it back if it was stolen,no reduction in premium but paying out for the Tracker cover,most (proffessional) theives would probably leave Bailey S6 alone knowing they have a tracker,always use the wheellock aand hitchlock anyway even for a couple of minutes stop.

Oct 24, 2007
Visit site
Hi Deli Dave, just a thought. When you renew your insurance, do you inform them you don't have an active tracker. Their quote would normally be based on the standard specifications for the model being insured. I would hate them to have a reason to wriggle, should the need to claim arise.

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
I think that the Tracker system is the only system that operates within police patrol cars allowing them to triangulate the position of the caravan. Others seem to rely on the GPS position and then contacting the police to inform them where the caravan is located but I am open to correction.

May 5, 2005
Visit site
For Tony H

I did indeed advise them (Camping and Caravan Club),they sent me a revised schedule which had deleted the Tracker from the requirements.They said that as long as the Alko wheel lock as used and a hitchlock their requirements were satisfied.

Best wishes

Dave

May 5, 2005
Visit site
For Tony H

I did indeed advise them (Camping and Caravan Club),they sent me a revised schedule which had deleted the Tracker from the requirements.They said that as long as the Alko wheel lock as used and a hitchlock their requirements were satisfied.

Best wishes

Dave
'was' not 'as' sorry

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
A lot of people who own twin axles with the Alko wheel lock seldom fit the lock as it is a real pain to fit as they ahve to jack up the caravan. This may affect their insurance.

I know that if we had if fitted we would not bother as first of all it would be nearly impossible for me to crawl around to fit it in the first place as I suffer from arthritis.

Feb 2, 2010
Visit site
A lot of people who own twin axles with the Alko wheel lock seldom fit the lock as it is a real pain to fit as they ahve to jack up the caravan. This may affect their insurance.

I know that if we had if fitted we would not bother as first of all it would be nearly impossible for me to crawl around to fit it in the first place as I suffer from arthritis.
What exactly is different in the twin-axle wheel lock?

Surely you have to align the wheel with the chasis, however many wheels you have?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts