Transfer Private Registration

Jul 30, 2007
Visit site
Hi Didnt want to clog up normal forum topics so ive put it here.
I owned a vehicle with my own registration number and part exchanged it at a dealers.
The dealer said he was quite happy for me to transfer number over to new vehicle and also he was happy for me to surrender the tax disc as it still had 5 full months left.
I arranged to collect the new vehicle a week later and made sure that I had informed my insurance dealer of the new vehicle and date/time it was due to start.
I duly collected my new vehicle and returned the tax disc to DVLA.
Before you say it...............yes......I should have maybe put my registration on retention before the exchange took place.
What I would like to know is......would it be possible for the dealer to return/exchange my plate for me?
The vehicle is still in my name but of course I dont have it insured or taxed.
Maybe a long shot,but would appreciate your help.
Many thanks,
Adrian
P.S.The registration number only cost £250 but was unique to me

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
GeorgeandAde said:
Hi Didnt want to clog up normal forum topics so ive put it here.
I owned a vehicle with my own registration number and part exchanged it at a dealers.
The dealer said he was quite happy for me to transfer number over to new vehicle and also he was happy for me to surrender the tax disc as it still had 5 full months left.
I arranged to collect the new vehicle a week later and made sure that I had informed my insurance dealer of the new vehicle and date/time it was due to start.
I duly collected my new vehicle and returned the tax disc to DVLA.
Before you say it...............yes......I should have maybe put my registration on retention before the exchange took place.
What I would like to know is......would it be possible for the dealer to return/exchange my plate for me?
The vehicle is still in my name but of course I dont have it insured or taxed.
Maybe a long shot,but would appreciate your help.
Many thanks,
Adrian
P.S.The registration number only cost £250 but was unique to me

Make sure that the vehicle has a SORN in the meantime otherwise you will get a fine in the post.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi, When we have part exchanged cars we have arranged for the dealer to swap the personal plate onto the replacement vehicle,some are more reluctant to do it than others,but we make it part of the deal,although they still charge the transfer fee,£80 from memory,and you can collect your replacement car and drive away with your personal plate from day one.

TRENDING THREADS