Travel Insurance ( health )

May 12, 2006
Visit site
Hi All

In Overseas parks and Touring, a small debate has been going on over should health insurance be relevant when travelling in the EU. I would really like to understand why people take out this part of a policy when we now have the European Health Insurance Card. I think but have not yet checked again, the UK is not in the top 10 of European Health Treatment League Tables.

I had it quoted to me " what if you had a heart attack " well I would be treated in the Acute Wing of a European Hospital, and then I would come home, and be treated at the Chronic Clinic of my Local Hospital. Or I may die and then I don't care what happens to me. It's just that in my opinion it is no longer relevant to have this element of an Insurance Policy. Mind you that does not go for the USA or Africa just Europe. Am I being irresponsible in this position ?? other views would be very welcome.

ps I have had both an MI and a leaking Brain AVM both would be excluded under any health insurance policy.

Val & Frank

Jun 29, 2004
Visit site
Good question Frank.

I glibbly take out annual cover with Insure and go without questioning why, when I was younger we travelled as a family all over Europe without the benifit of this cover, as one gets older you take it out one year and then you are one a roll. We tend to travel in the mainstreem countries, France, Germany, Austria, Italy, Spain ect with the backup of the euro health card. So as a Retired Caravaner, why do I need it. From the thread that you refer to, If you are over 65 with a pre existing problem and the cost goes up that much ( I am currently paying less than

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Certainly having the new European Health Insurance Card (EHIC)means that you can claim health care in other EU countries. However, despite the problems that the NHS has, other EU countries have rather different standards.

Spain is probably one of the best, with France Germany and the BeneLux countries and Scandinavia being excellent.

However, in Greece it is not normal for food to be provided - that is seen as the responcibility of the relatives. In other words their health care infrastructure is not geared up for holidaymakers.

As a real example, a client of a colleague had a stroke in Spain. The Spanish hospital was truly excellent. However, now recoverred very well, when this guy visited us many months later, he said how grateful he was that the Travel Insurance he had provided an Air Ambulance that flew him into Southampton Airport and then a private Ambulance to Southampton General.

He could not fault the Spannish Medics at all - in fact he was full of praise for them.

But he wanted to be home.

He said the policy was worth every penny.

Jul 26, 2005
Visit site
Frank I think Clive has put his finger on it - the health card only covers you for emergancy treatment which would include hosptalistion for accident and serious illness but does not cater for repatriation.

Personally I carry the health card and never bother with insurance for Euro trips but there is the odd twinge of "what if" now and agin. Still go though!

You pays your money or takes a chance I Guess but if you have certain medical conditions or are well past sell by date the insurance companies wont take your money anyway!

May 12, 2006
Visit site
Hi David,

My point in a nut shell. You don't expect to be treated for something chronic when on your holidays. It would be something acute, heart attack, broken leg, etc. This is covered in Europe by the EHIC, cover is first class in mainstream Europe albeit Greece and the new entrant states do leave something to be desired. It's a judgement on what you feel comfortable with, and of course where you are going.

I just felt it was no longer a must have for Mainland Europe,20/30 years ago yes now I don't think so !!!, but that's my personal opinion ( which I am willing to share with anyone who cares to listen ) -)

val & Frank

Jan 1, 2006
Visit site
Frank

I understand where you are comming from with your views but unless you travel on your own or your partner is a driver what happens to your other half while you are being treated in hospital. how do you get yourself back home should you be unable to drive. Yes it is expensive but so long as I do not have anything badly wrong with me or her indoors we will play safe and use the package from the CC . I know this was not health but a few years ago a friend went to france with no

additonal insurance cover for his outfit 500 miles south the car gave up, cost him

Jul 26, 2005
Visit site
Your'e going off on a tangent David - Frank is making a point on health insurance.

Good vehicle insurance covers what you are talking about - mine does and will get the car and van home if it breaks down and provide a driver to get it home if the nominated driver is incapacitated.

Neither the EU health card or motor insurures will fly you home in a jet if you are severely crook, which was our point.

Additionally if you have certain "existing conditions" or are over 65 with some or 80 with others no health insurance company want's to know you anyway.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Frank and David.

I think everyone agrees with your theory on medical conditions within travel insurance except the insurance underwriters.

I have travelled in europe for many years both with the van and solo (by car and package hols) and have always taken out travel insurance with the company I am dealing with.

My wife was found to have a faulty heart valve and on declaring this was asked to ring a bureau who stated that a cost of

Jul 26, 2005
Visit site
Sorry to hear about you wifes trouble Shiraz - back to pay the money or take a chance again and you don't want to do either and that's understandable.

I have just got back from Luton after putting my brother in law and his wife on a plane to Alicanti - he has severe heart failure and she has MS. No insurance choices there I'm afraid and they have relied on the 111 and laterly the health card for years. They have a villa and are determined to get out there for 6 months every year, they just stock up on medication and go for it.

Sep 8, 2006
Visit site
Hi I will prbably be hated for what I am about to say but I disagree with the comments made regarding the EHIC card. This card is not all what it is cracked up to be.

I work as a claims handler for a large underwriter of travel insurance and prior to working there I would agree with what everyone has said so far, but after listening to the many hundreds of customers that have called to claim, I have soon changed my mind.

When registering any claim for medical or emergency medical treatment we have to ask was the EHIC used? Many customers have advised that they have tried to use it whilst in Europe but have had it declined as they were at a private hospital. I have had customers who have had a sprained ankle went to the reception of the hotel they were staying at and was carted off to a private hospital for treatment. The insured did not have a choice of were they wanted treatment. Each claim seems to be different. So my advice is leave the medical cover in the policy. You just never know when you might need it. What's it going to save you anyway a couple of quid? It will cost you more than that in the event of a serious medical complaint.

Another point to mention is the people who have existing medical complaints, ok so chances are you are not going to be covered for these or if you are you are going to have a higher excess. But you would be pretty annoyed if you was abroad and you had a broken leg that wasn't linked to say your existing medical condition of high blood pressure, because in this instance you would be covered.

Also in the event you die abroad the insurance company will fly your body or ashes home. They will also fly someone out to you if you are travelling alone.

Did you also know that the medical sections of most policys also included emergency dental treatment aswell?

I should work in sales?????? Funny I have worked as a car insurance sales person many moons ago.

May 12, 2006
Visit site
Hi Daniel

I understand your point it's up to you to ensure you are taken to a Public Hospital and not a Private one. Sorry but all this about flying home in a Air Ambulance is very misleading. Why would you need one???. People who have heart attacks fly economy all the time. I was in the US and had a brain haemorrage luckily not leading on to a stroke. But I flew home Northwest no Doctor or Nurse etc, in my opinion these are just an add on to make the premium look a little bettert.

Insurance is a racket preying on peoples fears " Caravan theft on the rise" increase the premium. I have just renewed our house insurance 12 different companies tried for my business all saying they could do it cheaper.

The same with the car, loads of quotes so I took the one with the heaviest loading and lowest premium, afterall I don't expect to go out and run into a Rolls !!!!

It's just a matter of choice and what you are willing to risk Low Medium or High. I was requested to have a medical for the car insurance the Dr said what a load of nonsense " either of us could stand up, shake hands and one of us could drop dead. All I was offering in my post was an option that I am personally ready to take. Last week we went to Prague with the EHIC as our medical cover. The RAC was covering the car & van. it's just choices.

Val & Frank

Sep 8, 2006
Visit site
Hi Daniel

I understand your point it's up to you to ensure you are taken to a Public Hospital and not a Private one. Sorry but all this about flying home in a Air Ambulance is very misleading. Why would you need one???. People who have heart attacks fly economy all the time. I was in the US and had a brain haemorrage luckily not leading on to a stroke. But I flew home Northwest no Doctor or Nurse etc, in my opinion these are just an add on to make the premium look a little bettert.

Insurance is a racket preying on peoples fears " Caravan theft on the rise" increase the premium. I have just renewed our house insurance 12 different companies tried for my business all saying they could do it cheaper.

The same with the car, loads of quotes so I took the one with the heaviest loading and lowest premium, afterall I don't expect to go out and run into a Rolls !!!!

It's just a matter of choice and what you are willing to risk Low Medium or High. I was requested to have a medical for the car insurance the Dr said what a load of nonsense " either of us could stand up, shake hands and one of us could drop dead. All I was offering in my post was an option that I am personally ready to take. Last week we went to Prague with the EHIC as our medical cover. The RAC was covering the car & van. it's just choices.

Val & Frank
Hi Frank

I do agree with some of the comments don't get me wrong, but half of the people that go abroad are certainly not as clued up as you. I suppose the more times you go the more you get the hang of it, but could you imagine a first time traveller abroad trying to use their EHIC!

One thing that would scare me is, if you have the medical cover as an option on the insurance policy then you have the problem with the sales staff. Take the fact most are on commission therefore to make the insurance cheaper they sell it without the medical cover, can you imagine the problems this could cause. I suspect this is one of the reasons why it is not an option.

I agree insurers prey on what if what if what if - It's all about peace of mind.

TRENDING THREADS