Travel to Holyhead

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I'm travelling on a Saturday morning, setting out from near Tamworth, Staffs and need to be in Holyhead by 2pm to catch the ferry to Ireland. I'm considering two possible routes, which are (a) M54 to Telford, then A5 via Shrewsbury, Langollen etc. to Anglesey and (b) M6 to Crewe then across to Chester to pick up A55 North Wales expressway to Anglesey.

Any advice appreciated as to which route is likely to be the quicker with a caravan in tow.

TIA, Mike.

May 8, 2005
Visit site
Hi Mike,

As a HGV driver based in North Wales this is the route I would take, From Tamworth, Take the A5

towards the M6, go over the M6 & stay on the A5 until you come to the A41 roundabout (1 mile after western park)

Turn right at the roundabout (A41 north) keep on theA41 until Chester & take the A55 to Conwy, then the A5 to Holyhead!

Good luck & have a safe journey!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Mike,

As a HGV driver based in North Wales this is the route I would take, From Tamworth, Take the A5

towards the M6, go over the M6 & stay on the A5 until you come to the A41 roundabout (1 mile after western park)

Turn right at the roundabout (A41 north) keep on theA41 until Chester & take the A55 to Conwy, then the A5 to Holyhead!

Good luck & have a safe journey!
Hi Steven, thank you for this tip. Have you driven this route? It's certainly more direct than the route I planned to take up the M6, but what would be a likely average speed along the A41 stretch? I'm just concerned that it seems to be mostly single carriageway, with the potential to get stuck behind slow-moving traffic.

Regards,

Mike.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts