Travel with a Sun Canopy in Awning Channel

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
I have a Caravanstore Sun Canopy. I see some people travelling with theirs rolled up in its bag in the awning channel. Does this cause any problems?

Feb 3, 2008
Visit site
Isn't that what they are designed to do?

There's probably no more stresses and strains on the awning rail fixings than when a full awning is in use with the roof poles 'tensioned'. :)

Jul 20, 2005
Visit site
That's what we do. Anyway, how would you get it inside the caravan for travel? The rigid frame would make it impossible to get through the door! Surely, that is what it is designed for - otherwise why the bag.

Jo

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
I travel with mine attached. As woodlands Camper says, I don't think it puts any more stress on the awning rail than an erected tensioned awning. If your van has an opening front window you could use this to fit the sun shade in the van for travelling should you feel you need to.

Bid

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
With my previous caravan I always kept my caravan store in situ with no problems however on purchasing my new caravan and making enquiries of the dealer and manufacture they both advised against towing the van with the caravan store in situ. They were not worried about the awning rail but about damage that may be caused to the bodywork just below the rail even with pads installed. They said the movement of the caravan store whilst towing can damage the bodywork and such damage would of course not be covered by any warranty as the damage was self inflicted . It would seem that this is happening more and more as side walls are made thiner to save weight they said.

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
Thank you all for your replies. I load it into the caravan through a front window and it travels on the `van floor, because I was worried that it might damage the side wall. On reflection I will continue to do so. Thanks for your help. Ron

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Bid said:
With my previous caravan I always kept my caravan store in situ with no problems however on purchasing my new caravan and making enquiries of the dealer and manufacture they both advised against towing the van with the caravan store in situ. They were not worried about the awning rail but about damage that may be caused to the bodywork just below the rail even with pads installed. They said the movement of the caravan store whilst towing can damage the bodywork and such damage would of course not be covered by any warranty as the damage was self inflicted . It would seem that this is happening more and more as side walls are made thiner to save weight they said.
This has happened on our van, minor "dinks" along the ling of the rolled up canopy. Another indication of how thin the side panels are on modern vans.

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I don't see how the canopy bag should damage the sidewall, I had mine on our previous van for 6 years and our present van for 4 years, the weight is spread on the awning rail and the bag will swing onto the sidewall when travelling. but its the whole length of the bag not just in places,i cant explain Clives dinks though.

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
On mine there are 4 plastic pads on the back of the bag opposite the roof bar pads on the front (similar size to awning rafter pads) which I suppose could dent the caravan wall were the sun shade to swing about when traveling. I've not had problems though, my shade seems rock steady when on the road.

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
Thanks again for the info. Just as an addition, one day last year it became very windy, so we rolled it up in it`s bag and left it on the awning channel. During the night it was banging so hard on the van, that I eventually got up and removed it. I assume it would move also whilst travelling and possibly cause some damage.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Traveled with mine attached for years, the only dents are where the poles push against the van when erected.
Bodywork damage wouldn't be covered by any warranty anyway , so not sure what the dealer is trying to say?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
As Chrissbee has said there are soft plastic / rubber pads on the outside of the bag which cushion it against the sidewalls. These also act as shock absorbers when parked up in a strong wind which will otherwise lift and drop the bag against the wall - very disturbing if you are inside.

Earlier versions did not have these pads supplied but I always fitted some - contact adhesive and some suitable foam rubber blocks.

If you do leave them on the van for travelling, pull both zips to the rear and not the middle and leave a small gap between them. This way any water trapped when rolling up the top on a wet day etc. tends to work it's way out. ( I didn't believe it either until I tried)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts