Travelling abroad!

May 25, 2005
Visit site
I know this isn't a caravan question as such, but - can anyone help?

My daughter and son-in-law are going on a world tour (lucky them!) and have been told that they cannot use UK mobile phones to call home. They have been advised that they will need to replace their current mobiles with an Aussie one. Is this correct? They don't want to be burdened by taking along a laptop as they cannot guarantee being able to use one of these either. Is this just a rouse to sell new mobile phones?

Thanks everyone for any advice you may have.

Ann

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Ann

It depends, if their existing phones are tri-band they will be fine if not they will need to change them for Australia and the US. Try a web search for tri-band phones.

David

May 12, 2005
Visit site
Ann,

I regulary talk/type with a friend in NZ using MSN messenger, your daughter could do this in internet cafes world wide, as long as you had a prearranged time to be online.

good luck Tony A.

Jun 24, 2005
Visit site
Try www.0044.co.uk They sell sim cards for all sorts of countries (including a global one but thiis only works with certain phones). Thay way, you change your sim card when you get to another country - the drawback is that you'll have a different number.

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Tri band phones for America's Canada and Carribean. You can use british phones in Aus providing you have roaming enabled. Best deal abroad trhrough monthly contract wit travel/roaming monthly payment around

Aug 30, 2005
Visit site
Hi Ann,

I was in Adelaide last February and I phoned the UK a few times on my very basic Nokia mobile (no video or piccies), although I was lead to believe that this wasn't possible.

I am on pay-as-you-go with Vodaphone, so I went into a Vodaphone shop and got a little booklet on making calls from aboard.

If I remember correctly the calls cost approx

Aug 30, 2005
Visit site
Hi Ann,

I was in Adelaide last February and I phoned the UK a few times on my very basic Nokia mobile (no video or piccies), although I was lead to believe that this wasn't possible.

I am on pay-as-you-go with Vodaphone, so I went into a Vodaphone shop and got a little booklet on making calls from aboard.

If I remember correctly the calls cost approx

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Ann, just a note. Friend in NZ has just returned there from OZ yesterday, he has onetel sim card but provider is in fact vodafone, he had no trouble making calls within Oz and to UK and NZ.

May 25, 2005
Visit site
Thanks everyone for such detailed information. I will check with my daughter to see exactly which mobile phone she uses. I know they will both have a wonderful time and I am doubtful they will be in touch too often. It will only be in an emergency, no doubt!!! Will print off your details and let her have them so she can look into it further. Thanks again.

Ann

May 31, 2005
Visit site
Thanks everyone for such detailed information. I will check with my daughter to see exactly which mobile phone she uses. I know they will both have a wonderful time and I am doubtful they will be in touch too often. It will only be in an emergency, no doubt!!! Will print off your details and let her have them so she can look into it further. Thanks again.

Ann
Hi Ann,

I have been to Aus several times and using a mobile is no problems. I was there for three weeks on one occassion and was with Vodofone at the time. By phoning customer services before I left UK I was able to arrange, at no cost [I am on monthly contract] to make local calls. However friends could not call me as as their mobiles do not start with 07!! This ment I could phone home and receive calls in an emergency. Another time I just purchased a local simcard and used that for local calls and friends could call me. Its all a matter of cost. Cheapest method th phone home is use a friends land line as it cost them peanuts or you can purchase a prepaid call card.

Have a good time

Larry

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts