Travelling fraternity on site

Jul 22, 2005
Visit site
This weekend we spent it at Blairdrummond. We shared part of the site with travellers and this is where it gets bad, there were approx 7 vans all Hobbys, 1 transit van. The area that we were in became littered with their rubbish, empty cans of coke and easter egg boxes, they emptied their toilet waste down the fresh water drain and left p*oh in the drain! they were not noisy or drunk but they hung around alot making us and everyone else feel uneasy. the kids were little pests, bullying other kids to get of the play park. they also set a hugh fire in a bbq drum. they had no respect for the site at all. one of our friends noticed that none of the vans had waste or fresh water aquarolls. The site was however very nice with two seperate areas one had the play park in it and the other (walled) had mainly couples with no kids i thought was a great idea. I dont think the owners realised that they were travellers when taking the booking. On the whole a very good site without the travellers!

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
he large Hobbys do not use Aquarolls as they have a large inboard tank. I think the same applies to the waste water but not sure.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
I'm sorry to hear about your experience Yvonne.

If Blairdrummond is that lax a site I'm afraid I wouldn't go within miles of it. I would doubt very much, infact I would bet money on it, that "those who travel" never even booked, "those who travel" pay for nothing, if they like it they steal it.

What did the site do about getting them removed?

Jul 22, 2005
Visit site
LB the owner didnt do anything i thing they have put it down to experience. and i certainly would not have said anything to them for fear of returning to the van and it had been ransacked. These people were genuine travellers i am not suggesting that all travellers carry on the way they did and as i said they were not drunk or loud but what annoyed most was the lack of respect for the site and the other caravanners there for the weekend. We organised an egg hunt for the kids and had to wait until they left for their tea for fear that their kids would muscle in. the friends that we were there with said that was the first time they had seen them at the site. I liked the site i hope to give the owners a little call and find out if that was a one off if so then i will return to the site if not then its one to cross off the book. I shall keep you posted on the reply!

Feb 26, 2007
Visit site
Yvonne,

Blair Drummond is now an affiliated site to the Caravan Club.

Has this incident been reported back to them for their information?

Did the travellers come on to the site without permission?

What action did the wardens take?

Personally I would not have stopped on site and would have asked for a refund.

May 25, 2005
Visit site
Hello Ian

Hobby caravans do have onboard water containment direct from a nearby water tap, however the waste is, or should be, disposed of via the usual outlet. By this I mean they have a waste water container. Having owned a Hobby I can ratify this.

Ann

Aug 1, 2007
Visit site
When we used to go to scotland regular we used a little 5van site

We had been out one day and arrival back found travellers on the site 2 huge generators running (about 6ft from our van)kids shouting and this was 9 o'clock at night

So we went back to dau's to sleep as we could see generators where going to be on all night

Next morn we went back everything was fine (generators still running) but we packed up n went to another site

next time we went up used normal site n farmer said had he known they where travellers he would not have let them on

They went down his drive in posh car to see if there was room so he did not see the caravans n white vans till they arrived

So they are crafty when looking and booking sites

Jul 3, 2006
Visit site
Posh car or not, most travellers give the game away as soon as they open their mouths, we were in a family restaurant pub and a family next to us consisted of, small girl, wearing very expensive looking coat, mum and dad looking equally as stylish, Gran wearing fur coat and reading the times. Initial thoughts were that they looked a bit posh to be slumming it in a Brewsters but the amount of gold jewelery they were wearing gave a slight hint that all was not as it seemed and when I walked past and heard Gran talking! the accent, attitude and language gave the game away completely BUT! the little girl was well behaved and the group were quiet and kept themselves to themselves. If only they were like that all the time.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We spent an uneventful but worried night a few years ago at Chaumont in France on a site that was occupied with travellers

I remember them gathering round when I produced the then novel cordless drill to wind down the steadies and having to explain in French and sign language how it worked etc

As to emptying the toilet down the waste water I had to point out as tactfully as I could to a lady last week at Blackpool CC site that there was a designated toilet emptying point round the corner as she was rinsing her toilet at the waste water point

She thanked me but how can a mature caravanner not know such a basic hygiene procedure

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We had the same problem at a CL in Perthshire.

They had phoned to see if there were any vacancies and gave their Caravan Club membership number.

It was only when they arrived that the owners realised they were travellers.

They must have had about 4 or 5 caravans.

Surprisingly enough we hardly heard any noise during night but when we woke up in the morning they had all left.

Speaking to the owners later it appears they all left early in the morning without paying.

Seems quite a number have joined both clubs and site owners have no idea they are travellers until they arrive on site.

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
As neither the wife or myself have English accents and live in our caravan 365 days a year, are we also classed as inconsiderate travellers even though we leave a site spotless and do not make much noise?

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Quote "As neither the wife or myself have English accents and live in our caravan 365 days a year, are we also classed as inconsiderate travellers even though we leave a site spotless and do not make much noise"?

Tinkers like that are as rare as honest politicians. I've yet to see/meet any.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts