Travelling in France on Bastille day

Nov 2, 2008
Visit site
Hi folks. I would be grateful if anyone can give me some advice on travelling through France on 13th July (Bastille Day). Is it busy on the roads or should i stay put on site? Many thanks

Feb 17, 2007
Visit site
As Evans of Sprot says - not busy. Rather the opposite I found with so much being closed due to people taking the day off, a bit like Christmas here.

Nov 2, 2008
Visit site
As Evans of Sprot says - not busy. Rather the opposite I found with so much being closed due to people taking the day off, a bit like Christmas here.
Thanks Mike E. I'll look forward to the quiet journey that day.

Jul 11, 2006
Visit site
July 14th is a public holiday so you will find few shops (bar bakers) open and equally few fuel stations off motorways.

The thing to beware of is that the French celebrate the occassion with big fireworks displays etc on the night of the 13th, quite often late on. They don't seem to have rules over fireworks like we do so walking around a major city - as we found in Troyes a few years ago - on the afternoon of the 13th can be quite dangerous. Small kids - and I'm talking 6-7 year olds upwards - setting off fireworks horizontally...... One missed my wife's ear by about three inches and hit the wall behind the seat on which we were sitting.

On the other hand the displays are fantastic - they even switch the street lights off!

Nov 2, 2008
Visit site
July 14th is a public holiday so you will find few shops (bar bakers) open and equally few fuel stations off motorways.

The thing to beware of is that the French celebrate the occassion with big fireworks displays etc on the night of the 13th, quite often late on. They don't seem to have rules over fireworks like we do so walking around a major city - as we found in Troyes a few years ago - on the afternoon of the 13th can be quite dangerous. Small kids - and I'm talking 6-7 year olds upwards - setting off fireworks horizontally...... One missed my wife's ear by about three inches and hit the wall behind the seat on which we were sitting.

On the other hand the displays are fantastic - they even switch the street lights off!
wow!Glad she wasn't hurt :). Its funny you mention Troyes cos thats where we'll be on that day. Ta for your advice Woody

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts