Travelling to BISCAROSSE near Biarritz

May 2, 2009
Visit site
Hi

We are going to France this year near Biarritz and we are using the Portsmouth to Bibao crossing which is 35hrs on the ferry and then driving through Spain and up into France to Biarritz,my questions are as follows

Has anyone been to the site Domaine de la Rive and if so is it any good?

Also With being on the ferry for so long is there any point putting the fridge on ? as will it keep cool when the car is switched of for 35hrs approx, or will the cars battery keep it ticking over and cool ? or again will it flatten the cars battery and should I unplug the grey cable from the back of the car.Has anyone used this crossing and if so you might have the answers to my many questions

hears hoping I get lots of answers

ok thanks Rob

Aug 13, 2007
Visit site
We traveled Plymouth - Santander two years ago 20 hours.

Frozen stuff was thawing but cool stuff was ok. We put a couple of 2 ltr bottles of frozen water in the fridge to help.

We also took a 12 volt cool box into our cabin and ran it from the ships mains circuit via a french adaptor and transformer.

Biarritz is a lovely town, well worth a visit

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi,

Do not do as Simon F has suggested re:- running the fridge on gas. This is HIGHLY DANGEROUS and would not be allowed under any circumstances.I think you may as well forget your fridge on the ferry and buy fresh when you arrive in Spain.

Regards

Nidge

G

Sorry, never done a long crossing and I have never used gas onboard a ferry, just didnt know if you could.....

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Sorry, never done a long crossing and I have never used gas onboard a ferry, just didnt know if you could.....
No problem Simon,that is what this forum is for.It's good to get other peoples take and experiences on any caravaning queries.

Regards

Nidge

Mar 14, 2005
jondogoescaravanning.com
For three years I did our winter crossings on the Pride of Bilbao and I can confirm that you won't be allowed to run your fridge on gas during the crossing. On one occassion I saw a deck hand feeling the temperature of the fridge flue on several caravans. Living only 60miles from Portsmouth, I didn't bother switching on the fridge until after arrival in Bilbao.

Mar 26, 2008
Visit site
D d la Rive has been a much used family favourite. The man made lake along side it is very shallow and ideal for learning to windsurf or sail. Whenever we've been there have bben large groups of school kids and youth groups on activity holidays. We still had a good time and kids with us have loved it.

Freeze anything you can that goes in the fridge. Milk in plastic container, lump of cheese etc. Get the fridge cold before you leave and the frozen stuff should still keep the fridge cold until the ferry docks.

On long ferry crossings make sure the fridge is switched off or disconnect the car from the van. If you are unlucky and the relay fails your car is likely to have a flat battery when the ferry docks.

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
Hi

I went to this campsite 2 years ago. Its a gorgeous campsite, we were a bit un lucky with weather when we went but it was never cold and theres plenty to do. you wont be disapointed.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts