Travelling to France with my dog

Hi we are looking at travelling Newhaven to Dieppe in July on LD ferries and wondered if anyone could recommend a vet near to dieppe that we can use for the pet passport requirements needed to travel back to the uk.Also does our dog travel in our car on the ferry? This is the first time we have travelled to france and would appreciate any tips that anyone could give to us regarding any topics especially thinking of things we may not have considered. Looking forward to your replys.

Aug 24, 2009
Visit site
Hi Christine,

Sorry can't supply the details you are looking for, someone will be along soon I am sure with a web site or two with listings.

As a tunnel convert wonder if you have considered giving it a try? we are actually travelling in June and including the dog the cost is

Aug 30, 2006
Visit site
Before you go, it's worth doing a little bit of research as to the dangers you ( or rather the dog ) can face on the other side of the channel dependant upon the time of year you intend to travel.

One thing you MUST become acquainted with is the terrible effects that contamination by Processionary Caterpillars can cause. Just feed the two words into Google.

Here's a good starting point .

http://www.motorhomefacts.com/ftopic-3825.html
Olly.

Before you go, it's worth doing a little bit of research as to the dangers you ( or rather the dog ) can face on the other side of the channel dependant upon the time of year you intend to travel.

One thing you MUST become acquainted with is the terrible effects that contamination by Processionary Caterpillars can cause. Just feed the two words into Google.

Here's a good starting point .

http://www.motorhomefacts.com/ftopic-3825.html
Olly.
Hi Oliver, yes I have looked this up and it does seem something to take into consideration and I hadn't heard of them before. Thanks for pointing this out to me.

Jul 3, 2009
Visit site
Christine, we took our dogs to France for six weeks or so last year. It was the first time we'd taken them abroad. When I got home, I set up www.dogtravelblog.co.uk which tells of our experiences and gives information which we found difficult to find before we went. We had a great time and I am itching to do it all over again and to visit the places we didn't get around to. Just need another six weeks off work .....!

Helen

Christine, we took our dogs to France for six weeks or so last year. It was the first time we'd taken them abroad. When I got home, I set up www.dogtravelblog.co.uk which tells of our experiences and gives information which we found difficult to find before we went. We had a great time and I am itching to do it all over again and to visit the places we didn't get around to. Just need another six weeks off work .....!

Helen
Hi Helen, wow how did you get 6 weeks off work, must talk to my boss!!! Thanks for your reply and I look forward to reading your adventures.

Hi Helen, wow how did you get 6 weeks off work, must talk to my boss!!! Thanks for your reply and I look forward to reading your adventures.
Many thanks for your blog. This is invaluable information and I thoroughly enjoyed reading it. You cover all questions that I also have been worrying about. Many thanks for taking your time to write this blog and also for answering my question. Hopefully it will also be of great benefit to others.

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
I am wondering if anyone can tell me who checks dogs LEAVING England. I may have to take a puppy to France in the near future and it seems there is conflicting advice. The pup would be remaining in France (with my brother) and if it is a long drawn out process to get it the required paperwork I shall have to look after it until its ready! I understand what is necessary for a dog returning to the UK but can't find out what is necessary for one not coming back!

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
The rules on vet treatment have changed so it is no longer 24-48 hours before embarkation. It is 1-5 days and now only for worming not ticks. So you do not have to use a vet near a Channel port. Also the rules on the rabies jab have been totally changed to bring UK in line with Europe.

Jun 24, 2005
Visit site
The short answer is no one checks the dog on leaving!
In spite of being charged by the ferry companies/tunnel operators, we have never had our dog checked when leaving the UK. The most they ask is if we are happy with the chip and do we want to scan it "just in case".
There are no special loading/unloading arrangements so why do we get charged?

May 12, 2011
Visit site
Even though they do not treat your dog for ticks on return now, please bear in mind they are far more prevalent over there and carry several nasty diseases. Therefore treat your dog with a preventative before departure, plus take some for a refresher if necessary.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
For anywhere south of Dordogne we use scalibor collars and our vet recommended heart worm tablets too . Also I think Switzerland may still require the rabies jab to be within 12 months whereas our normal period is 3 years unless you are staying say in France for a longer period where I believe the want it to be annual. Look at defra website and also the government web sites of countries to be visited. PS the scalibor collars are for sand flies and ticks too.

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
Queenie said:

Helen

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts