Tread wear and replacement tyres.

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Continental tyres
Say this

I’m sure there is a graph related to speed, aquaplaning and tread depth?
The question must be why does the HMG department say 1.6mm as a “safe coverall “.
It’s not just UK that has 1.6mm as the minimum legal tread depth it’s across Europe too. Here’s an interesting article by Michelin who advise that there’s no need to replace tyres until 1.6mm is reached. Similarly to one I posted earlier where Michelin claim wet braking at 1.6mm is same as new tyre. Which is contra to Continental info in your link above.

My lifelong beliefs are being seriously challenged. 🙈 Suffice to say I have no intention of testing Michelins advice. Damn the expense or environment.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
New EU tyre regulations will require the tyre to have the same wet braking performance when it’s at 1.6mm as it had as a new tyre. Carbon dioxide saving of 34 million tons per year. Too many tyres are removed before they’ve reached 1.6mm on account of reduced wet braking performance. Be interesting to see how tyre companies achieve it and what it will cost the customer as selling less tyres will not be attractive to the companies.

. https://www.evo.co.uk/news/206983/n...torists-ps6-billion-in-tyre-replacement-costs
I can't begin to imagine how tyre maklers can design a tyre without having better wet braking at 7mm tread depth compared to 1.6mm.

I wonder if the regulation is simply at change of testing depth to 1.6mm instead of 7mm, or whatever a new tyre has - that way the published performance would be quoting the worst possible case.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I can't begin to imagine how tyre maklers can design a tyre without having better wet braking at 7mm tread depth compared to 1.6mm.

I wonder if the regulation is simply at change of testing depth to 1.6mm instead of 7mm, or whatever a new tyre has - that way the published performance would be quoting the worst possible case.
Maybe different tyre compounds, at different depths. Some, Motorcycle tyres have softer compounds on the outer sides than the center. More grip as you lean over.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site

If you read the Michelin link they mention wet braking of worn tyre is the same as new tyre. But whilst wet braking on a surface with 1 mm of wet might be the same as a new tyre I doubt resistance to aquaplaning could be maintained.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
If you read the Michelin link they mention wet braking of worn tyre is the same as new tyre. But whilst wet braking on a surface with 1 mm of wet might be the same as a new tyre I doubt resistance to aquaplaning could be maintained.
Apparently a car can aquaplane at speeds of about 50mph, but a lot depends on the tread. RAC mention that car with poor tread can start aquaplaning at about 30mph?

While in theory it may be a good idea, it will also push up the cost of tyres.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Apparently a car can aquaplane at speeds of about 50mph, but a lot depends on the tread. RAC mention that car with poor tread can start aquaplaning at about 30mph?

While in theory it may be a good idea, it will also push up the cost of tyres.
That’s the reason I change tyres when they reach 3mm, as their ability to pump water has reduced.

Reactions: Buckman
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
That’s the reason I change tyres when they reach 3mm, as their ability to pump water has reduced.
Very wise move,
Here’s another Continental link with aquaplane comparison figures.

So who and why conceived 1.6mm?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Very wise move,
Here’s another Continental link with aquaplane comparison figures.

So who and why conceived 1.6mm?
Thanks, I think the link pretty well says it all. I recall when there was a move to increase the legal limit to 3mm there was an outcry relating to more costs on the already overburdened motorist. Possibly even worse now since new tyre tread depth on some tyres might have reduced.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
The 1.6 mm limit was introduced in 1992, prior to that it was 1mm. In those days tyres were skinnier and generally smaller wheels, but still capable of speeds well above the onset of aquaplaning.

In Parliament the debate also considered that increasing the limit to 1.6mm would lead to millions more tyres across Europe available for retreading. Hence reducing costs to motorists and being more environmentally friendly.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
The 1.6 mm limit was introduced in 1992, prior to that it was 1mm. In those days tyres were skinnier and generally smaller wheels, but still capable of speeds well above the onset of aquaplaning.

In Parliament the debate also considered that increasing the limit to 1.6mm would lead to millions more tyres across Europe available for retreading. Hence reducing costs to motorists and being more environmentally friendly.
I remember commercial vehicle tyres being retreaded but not private car tyres. I must have thrown away a fortune over the years🙈

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I remember commercial vehicle tyres being retreaded but not private car tyres. I must have thrown away a fortune over the years🙈
Some off roaders preferred a Spanish retread tyre (Insa) on account it was cheaper than new tyres and tough. My Father used retreads until he had a Singer Gazelle in the mid 1960s.

Last edited:
May 10, 2024
Visit site
Mine just had its MOT and as per every time it’s at the stealers, sorry main dealer 😂 they did a ‘health check’ tyres currently 4.5 to 5.5 all round and advised to change at 3mm which I will. Can’t swap front to back as staggered sizes. As for premium v mid/economy it’s premium all the way for me and I have to use Porsche approved to comply with extended warranty terms. Our other cars also premium though and tend to use evo magazine annual tyre test as a basis so we have a set of Michelin pilot sport 5 (brilliant tyres) conti sport contact 6 (quite noisy) and Goodyear eagle f1’s which are good but do need changing at 4 mm as they start tram lining. The Macan goes onto full winters (Dunlop) in November as occasional
Ski trips full winters are compulsory in Austria Switzerland and parts of Germany, these do start to lose performance/grip at 4 mm.
I’ll always remember what my truck driving dad said. Tyres are the only part of a vehicle in contact with the road. Never skimp on tyres. So I never have 😂

Reactions: Hutch and Buckman
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Today was supposed to be sunny here in West Midlands, but it is raining! Amazingly they can predict the weather in 50 years time, but cannot get it right for the next 12 hours! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Measured the tread depth on a set of new Goodyear Vector All Seasons that have only done 500 miles. The rears show a generous 8mm so no makers reduction there.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Well I finally decided to purchase two Goodyear Vector all seasons and they will go on the rear, with the Continental summers being moved forward to the front axle. I bought them via Blackcircles which with an 8.5% discount came to £320 inclusive. What I couldn’t find were tyres of the OEM load index of 94. Virtually all were XL at 98 load index and “EV ready”. So I guess the increase in load index allows for the extra weight of an equivalent EV. C’est La EV as one might say.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Well I finally decided to purchase two Goodyear Vector all seasons and they will go on the rear, with the Continental summers being moved forward to the front axle. I bought them via Blackcircles which with an 8.5% discount came to £320 inclusive. What I couldn’t find were tyres of the OEM load index of 94. Virtually all were XL at 98 load index and “EV ready”. So I guess the increase in load index allows for the extra weight of an equivalent EV. C’est La EV as one might say.
While XL tyre will give a higher load rating and therefore an increased safety margin they may well give a harsher ride due to strengthened sidewalls - but they also have better puncture resistance.

My own choice of tyre (Vredestein Quatrac Pro+) is made in 3 versions - Normal, XL, and EV - with the XL and EV having similar load/speed ratings - when I contacted the maker they advised not to use the EV version on an IC car - other tyre makers may simply combine the XL/EV version as "one size fits all".

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
While XL tyre will give a higher load rating and therefore an increased safety margin they may well give a harsher ride due to strengthened sidewalls - but they also have better puncture resistance.

My own choice of tyre (Vredestein Quatrac Pro+) is made in 3 versions - Normal, XL, and EV - with the XL and EV having similar load/speed ratings - when I contacted the maker they advised not to use the EV version on an IC car - other tyre makers may simply combine the XL/EV version as "one size fits all".
That’s interesting as I couldn’t find 94 load index in the makes I wanted. Even the Goodyear Vector Gen 2 at 94 LI were not available in my size so I opted for a 98 load index Generation 3. Will have to see what the ride is like. with the higher LI. My daughter had a Saab 93 turbo and went to XL tyres and the difference in ride was imperceptible.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts