Treat old rotted wood

Jun 16, 2023
Visit site
Finally found a potential damp issue - found it in the back corner. There was a huge sticky stain under the bed, I reckon it was a spillage of something like syrup or liqueur, and it went under the vinyl and caused the floor to rot.

I couldn't find evidences of it spreading further and damp meter showed 21% in it and 16% around. The wood there is in a bad condition - can easily tear pieces and I can reach the metallic shell from there.

So... for now I believe it's okay... will inspect the underneath at the next service. I wonder if there is some treatment to seal the gap and to help the wood to remain its strength?..

Will keep an eye on it to make sure it's not spreading.photo_2023-10-22 22.25.57.jpeg

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Years ago I used a product from Cuprinol that I painted on rotten windowsills. I had to remove as much friable rot as possible and then this solution hardened the timber. If course it didn’t really do anything other than give me a base to then use wood filler to rebuild the profile. Or sometimes stuff the hole with papier-mâché before skimming the surface with Cataloy. Not my norm but the buyers were giving us a hard time. Normally I’d replace the timber. 😱

Here is the Ronseal variant.

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2023
Visit site
Finally found a potential damp issue - found it in the back corner. There was a huge sticky stain under the bed, I reckon it was a spillage of something like syrup or liqueur, and it went under the vinyl and caused the floor to rot.

I couldn't find evidences of it spreading further and damp meter showed 21% in it and 16% around. The wood there is in a bad condition - can easily tear pieces and I can reach the metallic shell from there.

So... for now I believe it's okay... will inspect the underneath at the next service. I wonder if there is some treatment to seal the gap and to help the wood to remain its strength?..

Will keep an eye on it to make sure it's not spreading.View attachment 5744
Have seen Ronseal wet rot treatment..Gary

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
In a caravan, there are risks with retaining any wood, even if it has been treated, for two reasons.

The first reason is that the integrity of a caravan is often only maintained by a combination of the chassis and the body working in combination. If either is weakened, through rot or damage, the caravans structural integrity will be compromised.

Secondly any rotten wood, even if it has been treated, there is a an increased risk that unless all the affected material has been removed that spoors from the infestation may continue to affect any nearby materials and continue to damage the caravan into the future.

All affected material should be removed and replaced with fully treated (edit) new material.

Last edited:
May 15, 2023
Visit site
Not wishing to be the voice of doom, but are you sure that the source of the damp has been identified? For wood to rot it needs to be damp for some time, a spillage alone wouldn’t usually cause wood to rot.

Jun 16, 2023
Visit site
No signs of leaks everywhere. It could have been somewhere and fixed later, given the age of the van 18 can't tell for sure.

I can cut that specific rotten piece and see what's happening around - would that be a good start?

Last edited:
May 15, 2023
Visit site
No signs of leaks everywhere. It could have been somewhere and fixed later, given the age of the van 18 can't tell for sure.

I can cut that specific rotten piece and see what's happening around - would that be a good start?
If the dark area in the photo is dry, then as you suggest it could be an old problem that's previously been repaired, if its still damp you will need to find the source and fix this first.

Reactions: toad a caravan
Sep 23, 2023
Visit site

Will keep an eye on it to make sure it's not spreading.View attachment 5744
The timber underneath in the corners can be prone to water that drains down the awning rails on to the the front and rear panels and collects underneath onto the floor,I have put 25mm plastic angle onto each corner of the front and rear panel allowing water to run down the rails onto the panels then drop off the pvc angle.Gary

Jun 16, 2023
Visit site
1. Thanks everyone, I cleaned the area around to assess the damage. The damp readings are 19 around and 29 in it.
photo_2023-10-27 11.56.05.jpeg

2. The O/S rear corner has a plastic cover and the water is running underneath it.
photo_2023-10-27 11.56.09.jpeg

3. Without the cover I can see the wood inside is wet. I guess the main question whether it's ok or not? With such a gap it seems like made by design?.. Is that what you meant @toad a caravan ?
photo_2023-10-27 11.56.13.jpeg

Sep 23, 2023
Visit site
1. Thanks everyone, I cleaned the area around to assess the damage. The damp readings are 19 around and 29 in it.
View attachment 5792

2. The O/S rear corner has a plastic cover and the water is running underneath it.
View attachment 5793

3. Without the cover I can see the wood inside is wet. I guess the main question whether it's ok or not? With such a gap it seems like made by design?.. Is that what you meant @toad a caravan ?
View attachment 5794
It's not the same set up as mine it begs the question has the sealer failed and allowed water in? It looks as if the pvc section wasn't adhered properly.Does it fit under the aluminium rail but over back panel and sill ?.On mine the sill rail covers the seam to side panel joint..not to difficult to remove the rail where upon as prof John advised you could check condition of timber..
Try to remove residual sealer with turps..hope all goes well ,if you need help just ask.Gary

Sep 23, 2023
Visit site
This is the sealer I have used ..I should have got it cream and not green

Attachments

• IMG_2023-10-25-11-41-18-905.jpg
    IMG_2023-10-25-11-41-18-905.jpg
    855.5 KB · Views: 1
  • mastic sealer.jpg
    mastic sealer.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 1

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts