trip to south of france

Aug 9, 2012
Visit site
Hi
I am a new member,have been to france with caravan twice before This year we are going to port Grimauld in september We need 2 stops on way down from zeebruger any suggestions also any sites in port grimould . Do you think we could travel down with one stop any suggestions thanks

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
Are you using an ACSI Card (www.campingcard.co.uk)? You could stay at Praires de la Mer at Port Grimaud and save more than 10 euros a night using an ACSI Card, similarly at Camping Des Mures, a saving of 13.50 euros per night.
It might be possible to do it with one overnight stop if you have a very early ferry crossing, or possibly cross at night and stay somewhere near the port, then an overnight in mid-France somewhere. There are several ACSI sites which would make a good overnight stop.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
It's been a few years since we last went to Port Grimaud, we used to stay at Prairies de la Mer which is a large busy site with direct access to the beach a few hundred yards walk from Port Grimaud. I can't comment on what it's like in September, as we used to go in June/July, but boy was it busy then ! I recall it being very cramped too, but then the location (ie near the beach/Port Grimaud) was superb.

In terms of how many stops you'll need - well that'll depend on how much driving you're prepared to do in a day. When I was younger (20s?), I used to drive down to the South of France from the channel ports in a day and a half, running on adrenalin I guess, nowadays (50s) I try not to tow more than 250 miles a day so take 2 overnight stops.

Aug 9, 2012
Visit site
Hi val
thanks for that information we have never used ACSI card but it sounds a good idea.in the past we have just booked ahead with the caravan club so we are sure of a site .Can you book ahead with this card? thanks again

Aug 9, 2012
Visit site
Thanks Tony
for your info ,as we are now in our 60s will not be heroic and take your advice .Do you stop on sites on your way down or are there stopovers in the services We once stopped on our way to Normandy in a services because we were to tired to carry on but not sure if this allowed
thanks again

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
hi jwaterhouse

The nice thing about travelling in France is that the service areas are very frequent, on the autoroutes certainly. The services are inclined to be either the traditional UK type service area with petrol station, shops, restaurant etc, or smaller quite rural ones that are little more than a layby, picnic area, and (usually) some fairly disgusting public loos. As far as I'm aware, it's legal to stop overnight at either type of services. Having said that, I personally wouldn't do that purely on safety grounds though I'm sure others will take a different view, so we use proper campsite.

Enjoy your trip, September in Port Grimaud should be very pleasant.

Regards
Tony

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
We find up to 350-375 miles a day is okay when on the autoroutes but we don't have long breaks so 20 minutes for a fuel/ coffee stop and no longer than 45 for lunch. Overnight is always in a camp site mainly for the showers and security too.

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
You can book directly with the main site and let them know that you'll be using an ACSI card - or there is a form on the ACSI card website which you can complete and email to them. Again just let them know that you'll be using ACSI. However, you won't need to book overnight sites - they won't be full in September.

Mar 21, 2007
sites.google.com
Do you have a particular reason for choosing that part of the coast?
It was the first place I went over 30 years ago and it was dreadfully busy then and I cant see it improving in the meantime. France has so much to offer but not IMHO there. In September the Languedoc will be much quieter and as Val has already said there is no need to book anything. Regarding overnight stops, unless you are pressed for time getting down there (anywhere on the med) from Zeebruge in 2 days is pushing things unless you use the toll roads. I am using that ferry 1st of September and will take 3 1/2 days to Argeles sur Mer doing over 220 miles most days.
David

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We have been to Port Grimaud several times and stayed at Praries de la Mer and couple of times and also next door at Camping de la Plage. We prefered Camping de la Plage but it was 10 years since we were last in that area and I was looking at some reviews of de la Plage a few weeks ago and they were not that good. Val mentioned Des Mures which is next door to Plage and although I have not stayed there it seems an OK site and perhaps a bit quieter than the other two. It does not have such a large space on the beach as most of the site is on the other side of the road. I have to say that I still have a soft spot for the Port Grimaud area.

David

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Both Davids raise interesting points. Much as I like the Cote D'Azur in general and the Port Grimaud/St Tropez area in particular, it can't be denied that it can be a very busy experience with some very cramped and extraordinarily busy campsites. Once we became tied to school holidays, we stopped travelling down to the Cote D'Azur as I just couldn't imagine what the likes of Prairies de la Mer must be like in late July/August, and since then we've tended to go to Languedoc- Roussillon. However, while the Languedoc- Roussillon coast is much less busy and has some very nice campsites, it's not as interesting or as pretty as the Cote D'Azur in my (subjective) opinion. So, what would I chose to do in September - to be honest I don't know as I've never had the chance to travel to the South of France then, if I thought the crowds had gone I'd probably try the Cote D'Azur again.

Aug 9, 2012
Visit site
Hi Tony
thanks for your reply, we are also traveling on the 1st of sept ferry. we have decided to stop for 2 nights near troyes another stop 1night stop at le bontemps near vienne final stop holiday Marina port grimaud you say its very busy around port grimaud thats what i am looking forward to although i wont be driving but navigating is also very stressful. our last holiday in the loire valley and dordogne very pretty but a bit to quiet have a good holiday

Hi We are also going to Port Grimaund for Sept, we do take two days to travel, first staying overnight near Calias then somewhere near Lyon. Although we have decided to take an extra day on this trip. We are staying at Camping des Mures on the beachside. The beach is never overcrowded and you will find plenty of freindly people staying there. they do have a website and you can book by ACSI, Have a good holiday
smiley-cool.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts