Trip to the Dolomites

Jan 19, 2007
Visit site
From the 26th May to the 25th of June we are intending to go to the Dolomites via eurotunnel and the Mont Blanc tunnel. I am also investing in a supply of Camping cheques so have selected the following sites, Le Chateau du Grandspette (cc32), Lac de la Liez (cc178), Les Domes de Miage (cc202), in Italy, Sa Francesco (cc480), finishing up at Camping Vidor (cc 472). The selection is based on no more than 500km per day.

I was wondering what the approach to Mont Blanc tunnel is like as it is a wiggerly green line on my map.

All comments will be appreciated.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi there Mike B

We used the Mont Blanc Tunnel last year for the first time. It was about 9am Sunday when went through and the road was a bit of a climb. I think it is about 5 miles up on the French side with several wide hairpin bends. We had very little traffic but there were signs indicating a 1hr wait from that point and then another 30 mins etc. I was glad that we were clear as while it is not especially steep it is a pull all the way up. The cost I think is about

Aug 10, 2008
Visit site
ditto what Barry says, Mont blanc is a costly and longer alternative to get to the dolomites.Although if they are site and areas you want to stop at on your way,then why not.

Alternatively using the acsi http://www.acsi.eu/en/about-acsi/l2-n145/. and the Luxembourg Germany route becomes a great alternative.either way enjoy yourself

Jan 19, 2007
Visit site
Thanks for your replies, don't fancy Germany. We are leaving from Calais and Mappy's route was via the St Gotthard tunnel which means going through Switzerland and getting more paperwork.

The other alternative is the Frejus tunnel which is only adds 58km to the journey over the Mont Blanc tunnel way. Is this an easier way?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Mike (again)

We have use Frejus twice and it is an easier approach then the Mont Blanc. The cost is the same for both tunnels. I also think you can get a return price which is cheaper but it may have to be within the week.

Happy Travels BarryB

Jan 19, 2007
Visit site
BarryB,

The more I think about it the more I like the Frejus tunnel.

Dianne I will save about 200 miles going through the Germany way, if we run out of time we could always come back that way. What am I missing by not going through the Brenner tunnel?

Thanks everyone for taking the time to reply, most helpful.

Aug 10, 2008
Visit site
"Brenner pass" Which if you get off the m/way anywhere along that route is indeed very scenic. If you decide you could run along to Lake constance and indeed through the black forest, more wonderful sites. if instead from Innsbruck,you take the more popular route and run into Germany through fussen, again spectacular scenery, and castles, including the fairytale one near to fussen itself.

Germany has many treasurers and is very underrated.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thanks for your replies, don't fancy Germany. We are leaving from Calais and Mappy's route was via the St Gotthard tunnel which means going through Switzerland and getting more paperwork.

The other alternative is the Frejus tunnel which is only adds 58km to the journey over the Mont Blanc tunnel way. Is this an easier way?
Mike

Can I ask why you don't fancy Germany. Its a great country for caravanning.

David

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts