Truma Heating system

Aug 31, 2008
Visit site
Hi there,we wanted to use the electric warm air heating for our caravan over the xmas period to keep us warm but found that although it blew hot air for about 20 minutes it then started to blow cold and didnt revert to warm again, are we doing something wrong or is there something wrong with our system?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Debbie,

You don't say which make model and year of caravan you have, But in recent years some caravan manufacturer's have fitted the heaters temperature sensor in the wrong place, and it operates in much teh way you describe.

Talk to your caravan supplier, who should be aware of the problem and have a solution for you. It involves moving the existing sensor of fitting a new extension probe, siting it where it senses the room temperature rather than the output from the heater.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Its possible easily to fit a remote temp sensor

We had this done under warranty 5 years ago

On our present van the control/sensor is on the wardrobe side and on 2/3kw the heat build up in the wardrobe was considerable

I fitted 3 6in X 3in vents above the fire into the space above it and installed a twin computer fan

This really sends out some heat and the wardrobe is cooler as is the wall that the heater control is mounted on

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Debbie,

Thanks for the further info, perhaps some one may have a specific answer for your particular van, but otherwise my second paragraph and John Watson's reply may be most helpful.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Is this a New years Eve question? third time today I've seen it on different forums!!

My answer is;

It could be something else of course but most often it's the thermostat which as standard is situated in the control switch, the back of the switch is generally in the cabinet/wardrobe and therefore being heated directly by the fire below.

If it is in the wardrobe, open the doors and clear any cloths from around the back of the switch, now see if the van as a whole gets warm and not just the wardrobe?

Solution has always been fitting a 'remote thermostat', problem here is the daft places they have in turn been fitted, near the oven? opposite a blown air outlet, under pelmets....the list is endless.

It can though be attached to the gas sides already perfectly positioned thermostat, here surprise surprise, it works perfectly.

PS, I supply them at half the Truma price and it can be a 5 minute job to fit. It is a simple jack plug connection like plugging earphones into a radio, the only problem is actually reaching the jacks socket, this is just behind the fire at floor level and hidden by the fan unit.

If your arms about 4ft long it's a doddle!

Mar 4, 2007
Visit site
Hi Gary

As a matter of interest, how much are you charging for the extension probe as I may well be purchasing when I have had a look to see if I can get to the socket ok?

SBS

Mar 15, 2007
Visit site
I fitted one to mine and it made the world of difference.

Best to contact Gary direct for prices and he can supply photos to show you how and where to fit it. Go to www.arcsystems.biz

Mike

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Been away this new year with a crowd of Caravanners, typically it was something of a busmans holiday for me?

Problem was how cold it was, (-5C), and people moaning about Truma Ultraheats, I don't normally get a chance to investigate 'on site' so delved into a few installations to see why they 'don't work'.

All three systems worked but were hampered by lack of or the position the remote thermostat, or how it was constructed!?

1, No remote and control switch hence temperature sensor away from direct heat from the fire. Problem here was TV in front of switch and the TV's transformer behind the TV warming the sensor. Remote fitted and alls now warm

2, Remote reasonably correctly fitted at floor level but between fire and blown air outlet about one metre away. Warm air from the outlet was being drawn straight back toward the fire and keeping the sensor between warm. Remote repositioned cured that one.

3, Remote perfectly postioned attached to gas sensor!

This was baffling at first until closer inspection of the sensor itself revealed all, the sensor was covered in two layers of the rubber sleeving used to tidy up the electrical connections. This was effectively insulating it like wrapping in a blanket!! cutting the rubber back to expose the sensor fixed this one in a minute.

So it seems even if ones fitted in the best possible position, theres no telling if it's doing it's job?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts