Truma inlet water hose

Sep 5, 2016
Visit site
I have seen various ways of linking caravan water butts together, but would the on board water pump draw water from two barrels at the same time if I fabricated an inlet hose to have two pipes from the same inlet pipe going in to the two barrels,

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
HI Camel, I have seen people set up twin barrels before, and your idea of two pipes one in each barrel is fine until, the pipe which is highest will run outnofnwater and then the pump will try and draw air, , also if you join the two barrels , how will you fill them. If you have a water supply by hose then just a normal in barrel system would be best, other replys will come.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
camel said:
I have seen various ways of linking caravan water butts together, but would the on board water pump draw water from two barrels at the same time if I fabricated an inlet hose to have two pipes from the same inlet pipe going in to the two barrels,

In theory if you could ensure the the suction on each pipe were equal then yes it could work, And when the pumped stopped taking water the Y link would act like a syphon and the levels of water in each barrel would equalise.
But the problem would be achieving equal suction on both legs, even a slight imbalance could drain one barrel preferentially, then as air entered the pipe the system would probably air lock.

Just rearranging the idea slightly: Just use a normal single hose for the pump inlet working in one barrel. Then using a separate length of hose set up a syphon between the barrels. as the water is drawn from one barrel its water level will drop, this will cause the second barrel to move water to teh first through the syphon, The water levels will equalise, and both barrels will tend to empty together.

If you are prepared to make a link hose between teh bottoms of the barrels then again water levels will tend to equalise as the pump draws water.

Third option. Be more frugal with water and only use one barrel.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I see we are both awake Prof, 4th option, let your partner have a shower first, take the dogs for a walk, then change barrels for a fresh one and have a lovely long shower (6 minutes) whilst other half cooks the eggs and Bacon. :cheer:

Sep 5, 2016
Visit site
Thank you for your replies, what I intend to do is use a 'Y' link with two lengths of blue pipe connected too two white 12mil (plastic plumbing) pipe, the two 12mil pipes will have filters on the bottom and touch the bottom of the water butts, so hopefully in theory I will have an identical twin set up drawing water water from the water butts, I don't intend to run them dry so no air will be drawn in to the system, Prof I do take your point about being frugal with water but I just wish it would stop raining outside for a couple of days this year, :)

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
camel said:
Thank you for your replies, what I intend to do is use a 'Y' link with two lengths of blue pipe connected too two white 12mil (plastic plumbing) pipe, the two 12mil pipes will have filters on the bottom and touch the bottom of the water butts, so hopefully in theory I will have an identical twin set up drawing water water from the water butts, I don't intend to run them dry so no air will be drawn in to the system, Prof I do take your point about being frugal with water but I just wish it would stop raining outside for a couple of days this year, :)

I'm sure none of us intend to run the water barrels dry, but it's one of those things that happens :unsure:

As I explained in my first answer, if it works, then when the pump turns off, the bottom of your Y piece will function as syphon and the water level in both barrels will equalise. It also means that if you are using a hose to the caravan to refil them, provided air has not got into the Y piece you will only need to top up one barrel as the syphon will again equalise the water levels in both.

Good luck

Sep 5, 2016
Visit site
WC,
I have two waste containers already that I use, with the waste containers set up and two water butts it's a nice bit of pipe work, :)

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
camel said:
WC,
I have two waste containers already that I use, with the waste containers set up and two water butts it's a nice bit of pipe work, :)

Two of every thing! :)

I assume you are a Bactrain Camel then ;)

Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
I/we use one of these siphons, has worked well for us over a good number of years, cost about a £ on the tool stall in the markets. Also as the Prof. says because it siphons only need to top up on the one container to fill both. Used so we can both shower in a morning without going out to top up. fill up night before -- sorted!
DSC05088_zpswi9jjx2l.jpg

DSC05086_zpsydmwc4ke.jpg

Sep 5, 2016
Visit site
ProfJohnL said:
camel said:
WC,

Two of every thing! :)

I assume you are a Bactrain Camel then ;)

Certainly do have two of everything and still working perfectly well, ;)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts