Truma or aldo? heating? Dual fuel hob?

Jan 29, 2017
Visit site
What is the difference between truma & aldo (not sure if i've got that right) heating? I've seen the aldo one is an upgrade so guessing it's better but how?
I've also seen a few vans with dual fuel hobs. Is it worth asking for an upgrade if the model i'm looking at doesn't come with it?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Kaznamy said:
What is the difference between truma & aldo (not sure if i've got that right) heating? I've seen the aldo one is an upgrade so guessing it's better but how?
I've also seen a few vans with dual fuel hobs. Is it worth asking for an upgrade if the model i'm looking at doesn't come with it?

Hello Kaznamy.
No you didn't quite get it right, its Alde.

The main difference between the two systems is the Truma uses blown hot air through ducts, where as the Alde systems uses hot water pipes and radiators. Which is best is difficult to answer without knowing the particular caravan you are looking at. Both can work very well, but in general the Truma system can sometimes struggle to get the hot air to the extreme ends of longer caravans, But they tend to mix the air better so you get less hot head and cold feet issues than with the Alde.

Dual hobs, well that largely depends on how intend to use the caravan. If your not going to do a lot of cooking, then why spend out on equipment your not likely to use? If you want to use an electric hob then you have to uses sites with mains electric hook ups. Gas systems are quite capable, and if you read up on topics about how long will a bottle of gas last you will find plenty of caravanners where they get some surprisingly long usage.

Jan 29, 2017
Visit site
Thanks prof john I was nearly right :)
I'm looking at bailey pursuit 570, bunk beds and diner at the back and kitchen/washroom in the middle. We have 2 young kids (6 & 3) so probably would be doing quite a bit of cooking in the van as eating out for 3/4 gets expensive.
We'd be mainly on sites with the full works (toilets, showers, electric hook ups).

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Kaz, as looking at your threads your looking at seasonal pitches, the dual power for cooking would be best and if your cooking meals in and on Electric Hook up , EHU then maybe getting another double electric hotplate or griddle will work. As for the Heatting I like the Truma, my wife likes the Alde, horses for courses, we tour " Normaly" all year round except for the last 6 months.
Good luck
Hutch.

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
For a quicker warm up on a damp cold Friday night after work/school then the Truma or indeed like our van Whale heating systems are better. We have no cold spots in our twin axle. Many Alde users have spoken of a better all over heat once it's warmed up.

Cooking, well we've never yet used the electric plates in our vans and would be quite happy to use all gas hobs. However we never use an electric kettle or toaster either. Probably the rallying and solar power mindset entrenched over many years.

In the more clement weather than it is sat here with storm Doris raging, we use the cadac outside for most of our cooking and therefore for us an outside bbq gas point is essential.

I think today IF we can possibly face popping out, it'll be the nearest dowg friendly pub.

Feb 3, 2008
Visit site
There is a mind-set that if on hook-up 'we have paid for electricity so we will use it to its full extent'. :whistle: Unfortunately this attitude pushes up the pitch fees year by year as the site owners have to balance the books at the end of the year. :(

Jul 20, 2016
Visit site
Hello

We have the Truma blown air heating, and it was fine for our winter caravanning. Some have said previously that it struggles with warming the van from cold, but I have not noticed this at all, and we have been away in some cold snaps this winter! You can use gas & electric with the Truma to get the temp up quicker, but to be honest, I have not had the need to do this! I leave mine on low overnight, and it keep the van lovely & warm! You will need to drop the fan speed down though and not use it on auto otherwise it make wake you up when it kicks in. I sleep right next to the heater, and yes it omits a low hum on low, but nothing that would stop me sleeping!

We have one electric ring on our hob. It does take longer to boil the kettle and cook due to it not being instant gas heat, but its not using your gas, so i don't mind! I have had the same gas bottle on since July, and my gas cooking use I would say is moderate.

If it was me, I would go with the Truma heating, and get a electric ring (depending on the price!)

Jul 11, 2015
Visit site
The Alde wet heating system hasn't the dry blown air of that type of system. Find dry blown air dries eyes and throats out like in houses with blown air.

Duel fuel hob is handy especially to use the hob to boil a kettle all year round, or simmer dinner on, or put a pan of pasta on whilst the rest of the meal is being done on the cadac outside on gas. The gas oven does do a lovely Xmas dinner. As we have found, with a dual fuel hob and gas oven we are not limited to what we can cook year round which adds to the use we get out of the caravan.

If we chose to use gas for all heating and cooking, we'd probably use a non EHU pitch too, and a refillable gas bottle system as the gas consumption would justify the outlay for the bottle. But, we exercise our choice to use EHU pitches for which the fee includes the electric that we use in moderation all year round. When required we have the heating on, only the water on for showers in the warmer weather. On balance we probably pay for electricity we don't use as we don't use metered pitches. Suspect most fair weather non full year caravaners don't use all the electricity they have paid for in the fee, and doubt that all year caravaners actually use more than the cumulative fees charge in an annual period. Swings roundabouts and site owners evidently run sustainable businesses year on year, or they'd go bust :p

Just swapped the calorlite bottle after nearly 2 years of cadac, oven and hob use. That's 34p per nights usage over that time. Equal split of seasons each year thus far.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
We have the Truma blown air system and it works well for us in a 5.6m body. I do get the feeling though that it would struggle with a body much larger and it is slow to heat the rear toilet. Basically for the toilet you need to get the main body heated and then partially close the vents there to direct more heat into the toilet but once heated that is no problem.
The Alde system is only found on more upmarket models than the pursuit so you have to work out if it is worth the extra.
The hob with the electric ring is not fitted to the pursuit and is not an option. Upgrading would be costly and I cannot see that the cost of the gas saved would not warrant it if it is possible.
If you are looking at the new model I did see this at the Glasgow show and I do think it is a decent van for the price. There are not many caravans with this layout the only other I know of is the Adria Altea Severn. There are a few with a similar one including a Venus but the door is at the back which if you have children seems less secure. My criticism of the Pursuit would be the wardrobe looks too small for six of you and the kitchen is also rather small and I do not like the flap across the door. The Venus does have a bigger wardrobe and kitchen but at the expense of room in the front lounge. I suppose it is a case of which you prefer. Both seem to have decent size toilet compartments for a side fitting.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
jamestaylor18 said:
Hello

We have the Truma blown air heating, and it was fine for our winter caravanning. Some have said previously that it struggles with warming the van from cold, but I have not noticed this at all, and we have been away in some cold snaps this winter! You can use gas & electric with the Truma to get the temp up quicker, but to be honest, I have not had the need to do this! I leave mine on low overnight, and it keep the van lovely & warm! You will need to drop the fan speed down though and not use it on auto otherwise it make wake you up when it kicks in. I sleep right next to the heater, and yes it omits a low hum on low, but nothing that would stop me sleeping!

We have one electric ring on our hob. It does take longer to boil the kettle and cook due to it not being instant gas heat, but its not using your gas, so i don't mind! I have had the same gas bottle on since July, and my gas cooking use I would say is moderate.

If it was me, I would go with the Truma heating, and get a electric ring (depending on the price!)

Just a few clarifications about James' post.

Warm up times. Virtually all modern versions of both the Truma and the Alde heaters offer Gas and/or Electric operation. Generally the gas side of the appliances has greater heating capacity (kW's) than the electric side, so for the fasted heat up it's best to use both gas and electric systems combined. But once up to temperature, how much heating power you need will depend on the external environmental conditions and how many times you open the door or windows etc, but many people find they can just use the electric power to maintain the temperature. If its particularly cold or you don't have a mains connection, the gas is perfectly adequate and safe.

Because the Truma systems uses hot air rather than water and the way the systems are installed, the Truma can usually start to produce heat that you can feel quicker than the wet Alde. This is for two reasons, the first is the thermal mass of the Truma heater is less so it warms up quicker, and secondly is blows hot air directly into the living spaces at low level, where as the Alde system takes longer to heat up the mass of the heater and fluid in the circulatory system, and its radiators are often behind bed lockers and only convect heat which means it heats the inside of the lockers before releasing heat up the sides of the caravan walls and the hot air collects at head height first of all, and takes longer to reach the lower levels.

Noise. The Alde has the advantage here, its operational noise is less than the Truma Fan systems.

Overall heat in the van, There are many people who will make claims about one systems being better at keeping the van warm overall. I always have to take such claims with a pinch of salt, becasue there will be very few people who have actually had the opportunity to compare the two heating systems in the exact same caravan in the same conditions, so customer claims about one being better than the other are not scientifically sound. However I am lucky I have been involved with heater testing, and I can tell you that a properly installed and adjusted blown hot air system is capable of maintaining a very small temperature difference between the floor and the ceiling and indeed throughout a medium sized 4 berth caravan, where as the wet convected only systems had a bigger temperature floor to ceiling differential. Both systems were very capable of keeping users comfortable.

In terms of boiling water for drinks etc, you simply cannot beat an electric kettle for energy efficiency, as the element is usually in direct contact with the water its heating, so there is virtually no wasted energy. Using a hob to heat the same water is bound to be less efficient, as some heat escapes and does not heat the water, this applies to both electric hobs and especially gas hobs.

TRENDING THREADS