Truma Ultraheat Fire - Cover keeps falling off

May 2, 2022
Visit site
New to this forum, so thanks in advance for any assistance.

I've a Truma Ultraheat and every time I take the van out, the cover pops off. I'm a little unsure which way to adjust the little spring clips and how the bottom tag goes.

20220503_081233s.jpg

20220503_081240s.jpg

Any help will be much appreciated as I really like the way it works (when it stays in place... ).

Cheers

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Common problem. I inserted a small self tapper in the middle of the uppermost horizontal vent. It’s a common modification to resolve what is a poor design. Forums are full of it.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Common problem. I inserted a small self tapper in the middle of the uppermost horizontal vent. It’s a common modification to resolve what is a poor design. Forums are full of it.

+1

Reactions: Dustydog
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Whilst it's far from uncommon, and the screw solution is a common fix, the problem is poor installation by the caravan manufacturer who makes the reveal too big. When correctly sized the front cover springs are fine, but if you're has fallen off, then the screw is an effective solution.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Whilst it's far from uncommon, and the screw solution is a common fix, the problem is poor installation by the caravan manufacturer who makes the reveal too big. When correctly sized the front cover springs are fine, but if you're has fallen off, then the screw is an effective solution.
That tends then to add support to your view that Caravan and motorhome manufacturers do not pay that much regard to achieving good quality, as I can find posts on forums going back to 2010 at least.

Reactions: ProfJohnL
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
That tends then to add support to your view that Caravan and motorhome manufacturers do not pay that much regard to achieving good quality, as I can find posts on forums going back to 2010 at least.
That's far from unexpected because the caravan manufacturers keeps making the same sized parts which will continue to exhibit the same failure modes.There have been similar ar issues with fridge fitments with big gaps around the fronts. If your in any doubt, the fitting instructions for heaters and fridges should be left in the caravan, and the required opening sizes will be in them.

May 2, 2022
Visit site

Would you have a picture of the modification? Thanks in advance.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Would you have a picture of the modification? Thanks in advance.
Sorry no I’ve sold the caravan(s). But take the cover off and see where best to fit the screw then out it on and drill small pilot holes. It was a quite small screw about .5 inch long as it’s only purpose is to stop the cover detaching. It takes no load.

Sep 24, 2008
Visit site
If I look under the top cover of the fire there is numerous holes which have been fixing the fire in place . This comes about when having the cover off for all sorts of reasons and some of the screw holes did not align up with a more rigid fixing place.

Mar 14, 2005
jondogoescaravanning.com
A couple of years ago I replaced my 20-year-old Truma S2003 with a new S2004 model. One of the modifications to the newer model is a better fixing on the sides. Obviously, Truma knows the old fixing leaves a lot to be desired.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Thanks everyone for your help. After straightening the front cover, adjusting the little spring clips and re-securing the internals, I replaced the front cover and there were 2 little holes, ready for new screws. Installed the screws and it now feels really solid.

A happy camper ... :):)
it sounds like you are very handy with your hands well done for fixing it:D

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Truma's getting the blame but its not a design fault, its actually incorrect fitting of the aluminium back box at fault.
The 6 tiny fixing points are designed to leave the box sides 1mm proud of the woodwork, not crushed into the wood using one size fits all screws and the box to far back!
I've refitted countless backs correctly using screws sideways on through the tiny brackets own mounting holes, once correct the fire front fits firmly in position and stays there. That's without messing about replacing fiddly additional screws I'd found being used previously 😂
Oh nearly forgot, I've told the customer to get the wheels balanced as well, no appliance is designed to withstand vibration that shouldn't be there in the first place?!!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
It is John but its not the size of the hole but the position of the alloy box within it. Once correctly fitted, the top clips pass through completely allowing the front to drop down firmly into the lower mounting tabs at the bottom and the top clips fully up holding firmly.
As for manufacturers, my totally non technical good lady interrupted us three knowledgeable types trying to put into words what we had witnessed the previous hour or two watching them made?
" Call it what you like, just don't suggest we buy one.....their just slung together!!
We just nodded 😟

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts