Truma ultrastore tripping rcd

Sep 27, 2020
Visit site
Hi all new to the forum I have a 2002 sterling eccles amber when I switch on the water heater it trips the rcd,I'm guessing its the element I have disconnected the element and it does not trip out im probably answering my own question but can I say ite the element causing my problems

May 2, 2020
Visit site
Hi welcome to the forum, yes I think you have answered your question, if all other 230v things are working OK it will probably be the element in the water heater

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
Hi all new to the forum I have a 2002 sterling eccles amber when I switch on the water heater it trips the rcd,I'm guessing its the element I have disconnected the element and it does not trip out im probably answering my own question but can I say ite the element causing my problems
Hi Leemallin,
If it's the RCD breaker that's tripping then you have an earth fault in the element (element conductor touching the heater metalwork somewhere).Best to get a replacement element after checking and determining it's not the wiring/terminals touching the metalwork anywhere.

Sep 27, 2020
Visit site
Thanks for the replies I believe the one I have is a 450 watt could I fit the 850 watt version or is it best to go with the one I removed

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Whenever a manufacturer offers a choice of power ratings when you purchase a product, never assume you can upgrade by having to change a single component. There may be other components that should also be changed to ensure the safe operation at a higher power.

Don't rely on the information from an anonymous forum, check with the manufacturer or their registered service agents.

Reactions: Hutch
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Your caravan is 18years old. The entire design was based around components in use at the time. Doubling the wattage without upgrading the wiring , RCDs MCBs. Fuses etc may well lead to a major disaster. Are the two elements the same size and fittings?
why not ask Swift direct if your upgrade is safe. I agree with the Prof, don’t listen to forums advice on a fundamentally safety issue that could lead to a fire in the worst case scenario.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thanks for the replies I believe the one I have is a 450 watt could I fit the 850 watt version or is it best to go with the one I removed

If you have the 450w version then that is what you must replace it with.
There is not the fixings on the heater to take the separate thermal cut out for the 850w item.

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2020
Visit site
Right I've been to the storage yard armed with a multimeter and my generator if I connect the caravan to the generator and switch on the water heater the rcd didn't trip i left the heater on for 30 mins and I have hot water so I'm well and truly baffled maybe I'm thinking cause the caravan hadn't been used for a long time the element could have gone rusty ??????????

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
😱Just hang on a minute. Earth leakage trips (RCD's) need to have a supply with a fully functional earth system! Most portable generators do not provide a full earthing connection and thus some leakage paths that might trip grid mains, may not trip a supply fed from a portable generator. DO NOT TRUST YOUR RESULTS.

You are dealing with a serious safety issue, and you should be ensuring the testing is carried out properly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Dustydog
May 2, 2020
Visit site
As ProfJohn has said a generator isn't a way of testing a heater unless a good earth system is also present also a standard multimeter will not detect an earth fault unless its a dead short, you would need to test the element with a Mega (Megohm meter) and know how to use it,a local qualified electrician may help

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Right I've been to the storage yard armed with a multimeter and my generator if I connect the caravan to the generator and switch on the water heater the rcd didn't trip i left the heater on for 30 mins and I have hot water so I'm well and truly baffled maybe I'm thinking cause the caravan hadn't been used for a long time the element could have gone rusty ??????????

Absolutely the wrong thing to have done !!!!!
Portable generators do not have an earth , at best they are referenced, but they also do not have adequate overload protection.

As far as rusty element goes, NO, they dont rust !!!

Just accept that the element needs replacing and stop trying to short cut the inevitable.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts