Truma Ultrastore water heater not heating up a full tank.

Mar 6, 2006
Visit site
Has anyone experienced a Truma ultrastore water heater not fully heating the tank of water and by that I mean it seems only the top half only ever heats up when I use the electric heating side of this unit. The water temperature however is very hot, you cannot hold your hand under the tap while its running but there is only enough of it to fill a small washing up bowl then it runs cold. In the instructions with the heater it shows the element sloping downwards is it possible to fit the element the wrong way round so as only to heat the upper area of the tank? The gas side of the water heater is fine. Yes I do know the tank only holds ten litres and it will take over an hour to heat it.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Paul, yes it is possible to fit the heater element the wrong way up, at least that is what I was told by Truma when I replaced the one in my van. They made a very strong point of telling me to make sure it was dropping downwards, especially as I would be viewing the tank from "upside down" to fit it.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Paul,

I do not know if it is possible for the element to be fitted upside down, but that could certainly give rise to your symptoms. The other aspect of this is that unless the water in the tank is stirred, you will get what is called stratification. As water is heated it becomes lighter and so it rises until it reaches water of its own temperature.

This creates a 'convection' current and will cycle the water from the top of the tank to some point lower down. As the element does not reach the bottom of the tank it is possible that the thermal drive and momentum of the convection current may not scour the bottom of the tank, leaving the bottom water unheated.

An upturned element would certainly exacerbate the effect.

This does not happen with gas heating of this product because the heat is added at the bottom of the tank, so the whole mass of water is included in the convection system.

Mar 6, 2006
Visit site
Paul, yes it is possible to fit the heater element the wrong way up, at least that is what I was told by Truma when I replaced the one in my van. They made a very strong point of telling me to make sure it was dropping downwards, especially as I would be viewing the tank from "upside down" to fit it.
Paul here. Thats interesting Damian. Is there any way of telling if the element is the right way up without removing it to check ie, is there a serial number etc stamped on it which may indicate that is it is installed the right way?

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Paul, sorry, it was quite a long time ago I did mine, and cannot remember if there is any identifying marks or not.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts