Trumatic Ultraheat 230V Heater - Advice Needed

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
During these winter months, having the caravan exposed to the cold weather I have been trying to use the heater on the colder days whilst our van is in storage. (on our drive) Only having used the Caravan this Summer (first caravan for us) we never tried the Trumatic Heater out. I was wondering if someone could give me some guidelines on how and which position the heater needs to be in.
There's x2 nobbs on the top of the Heater unit itself, one to the left with an ignition press button (which I'm sure is for the gas heater) which has a scale of 1 - 10 and another over on the right hand side with x3 positions, x1 to the left which looks like a flag, x1 to the right which is the capital A and the centre positon being off.
As well as these switches I noticed down to the 'kickboard' area of the seating/bed section, theres x2 other 'Thermostat' type rotary dials. Ultrastore and Ultraheat. I think Ultrastore is for the water Temp? and Ultraheat for the heaters? (this as x3 positons, 2000, 0, 500 and 1000? Excuse my ignorance, but am I right in saying the Top left nobb on the Trumatic Heater (1 - 10 dial) is connected to the Ultraheat Rotary adjusted Thermostat controller ? and the other Top righthand side dial (1 - 5) which blows air out of the lower vents inside, (which will not warm up in our caravan?) is linked to the Gas Heater when its all connected up? Sorry is long winded Guys !!

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
To deal with the Ultraheat first.
The Ultraheat is the electric heating and the elements are located behind the gas fire.
It is controlled by the switch you found marked "Ultraheat" and the control has two adjusters, the outer ring selects the power setting you want, 500w, 1000w or 2000w.
These settings are not actually to do with the amount of heat produced but are there to accomodate low limit EHU on site (some sites have a max 6amp or 10 amp load rating, whilst others have 16 amps available) In normal use on a good supply, such as at home, or a 16amp hook up, the setting should be at 2000w
Setting it lower just means the heater elements will have to work longer to produce the heat level you want.
The temperature is controlled by the inner part of the control switch nd the thermostat is located within the switch control, unless there is a remote thermostat fitted in which case the setting is still by the same inner selector but the temp is sensed by the remote.

The Ultrastore is the water heater and is controlled by one of two controls, either a switch or circuit breaker for the electric heating or by the other control you found marked Ultraheat and this control is for the gas heating. The outer part of the control switches on the gas and the inner selects the temperature of the water.
Whwn using electric for the power source the water temperature is automatically limited to 70 degrees and cannot be changed.

The gas fire, the dial marked 1 to 10 is for the gas fire heat setting and the other is for the fan speed and operation.
The fan can be used when using either gas or electric and the marks on the dial are: the tear drop shape is manual speed selection, so whatever number you select is the speed the fan runs,continually.
The A is for Automatic which means the fan will automatically alter speed depending on how hot or cold the van gets, and the max speed you want it to run at is selected by the control as you would for manual setting.
The centre position is OFF

It is important to remember that the gas fire and Ultraheat are two entirely seperate units as such, neither being controlled by the other.
The only part common to both fuel sources is the fan, which itself is a seperate item and can be used with either fuel sources, or on its own in summer to circulate cold air

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Damian-Moderator said:
It is important to remember that the gas fire and Ultraheat are two entirely seperate units as such, neither being controlled by the other.
The only part common to both fuel sources is the fan, which itself is a seperate item and can be used with either fuel sources, or on its own in summer to circulate cold air
The Ultraheat CAN also be used with both fuel sources together for quicker warm up, that gives 5kw output (3kw gas and 2kw electric)

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Many think, mistakenly, that the two power sources can't be used together - as your post didn't include that, I was adding to your information, not trying to contradict it.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Beween you you have explained that very well and helped me get it straight in my head !!
I can never understand why it has A for auto and not M for manual rather than that weird little symbol
smiley-surprised.gif

Apr 1, 2018
Visit site
Gas fire will not light and cannot remove front oh struggling with it as we speak. Have read you lift st bottom and should come forward but cannot move it. Am hoping it just needs a new battery, no clicking sounds. Many thanks

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Check that there isn't a screws in the grille area. I've had ones where a single screw has been put in to prevent the front casing keep falling off.

You will see on a similar Truma heater post that the OP cannot get his front to clip firmly back into place. Other replies mention how some owners overcome this by fitting a screw, or screws. Is this what has been done on yours?

May 16, 2017
Visit site
Thanks that's helped me too.
So if I have the outer dial on something other than off, the inner dial on a number, say 5, go down to the heater, put it on A. The electric vented heat should work?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts