trying to find fixed double bed caravan that has mtplm under ...

Jun 23, 2009
Visit site
I have a ford focus 1.8 zetec 5dr petrol with kerb weight 1140kg, nose 75kg, max to 1200kg, gross 1650kg, train 2850kg, these figures are from Towsafe. My partner prefers the fixed double bed type of caravan but they all seem to overweight, although uktow.com offered a selection of caravan that were appropriate to my focus car, there were up to 1200kg and had the fixed bed feature and their mtplm were over the 1140 kg. So I have 2 different sites recommending different limits. I am trying to avoid changing my car. Is there a caravan that has the fixed double bed feature that is ok for my focus.

Sep 5, 2006
Visit site
You might have to buy any older 5 berth double dinette van & just leave the rear bedroom double made up? New vans are getting heavier all the time with their wider bodyshells & ever increasing standard equipment.

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
Our Swift has a fixed bed, and is ten years old - one of the first fixed bed models in this country, as it was an export model. It weighs 1050 unloaded. I think that's about as light as you'd get - but still way over your limit for the Focus when fully loaded. When it's fully loaded it's heavy enough for our 2 litre diesel Mondeo. We don't struggle, but I think it would be far too heavy for a smaller car.

The newer vans are heavier still - and we're struggling to find a new fixed bed replacement for our van, without having to find an even bigger car.

Jun 23, 2009
Visit site
I have shelved the double fixed bed idea. Would someone clarify to me the legal limit. My max tow weight is 1200kg according to the manufacturer. Does this mean it is legal to pull a caravan of that weight, and can I ignore the mtplm matching my kerbweight of 1140kg as a guideline and not a legal limit. It is only 60kg but this would make available a lot of suitable caravans. Any help much appreciated. ps I would not be carrying any extra equipment until the car is finally changed to a heavier car in the future.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
What Zafiral was getting at is that if you passed your driving test after the 1st January 1997 and you don't hold a category B+E driving licence, you are limited to tow a caravan with a max. weight (MTPLM) no more than the kerbweight of the car. In your case that would be 1140kg.

However, if you passed your driving test before that date, your only limit is the car manufacturer's spec, i.e. 1200kg (axle load, NOT total weight)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts