TV from battery power

Oct 21, 2015
Visit site
Hi All I am new so excuse me if posting in wrong area.

I have searched and searched for the answer to this. I have a 22 inch lcd tv.

I want to be able to run this from battery and have solar panel charging battery during the day.

I suppose the first question is this possible or even sensible.Will I be out of battery in a matter of an hour or so
Secondly I understand I need an inverter.However Im not sure which one.
Finally is it possible to buy an inverter that plugs into the caravan socket or do I have to wire back to battery.

Please advise

Many thanks in advance

115 Leisure battery New
Older caravan it our first elddis 2001 505
Have changed all bulbs to leds to lower consumption on these and obviously fridge heating etc will be off Gas.

Cheers

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Magpie,

Yes you have posted in the correct section.

Without knowing how much power your TV needs, we cat really tell you how long you could watch it for. However you tell us you have a 115AH battery which is a great start. What we do know is that for a normal caravan you need about a 50w Solar panel to recharge the battery and keep a caravan just about self sufficient on 12V power.

In terms of the inverter, there are basically two types, the cheaper ones are Pseudo Sine Wave out puts, and sometimes they can work with TV's but sometimes they can damage sensitive electronics, so I suggest you look for a Pure Sine wave inverter These mimic the mains power far more closely.

The are available in different power (Wattage) capacities, you need to get one that exceeds the power rating of the TV - check the TV's data plate and look for the Wattage.

Inverters tend to use quite a lot of 12DC current, so they need to be connected as close to the battery as possible. Its better to use a standard domestic mains 13A extension to get the power from the inverter to where you need it.

Just for your information, if your TV needs 100W, then you must find an inverter at least 100W. (Probably 150w may be the nearest size you will find) Whilst 100W @ 230 mains equates to a current of about 0.4A, but 100W at 12V is about 8A! plus a bit to run the inverter. If your TV needs a different wattage the currents will change proportionately.

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site
Hi Magpie.just a suggestion here . Surely if you are looking along the lines of an inverter and Solar panels surely you would be just as well of with a mains TV. When you are on site with hook up you pay for the electric why not use it.I was thinking by the time you have spent out on an inverter ,a good solar panel you have the price of a TV.
Sir Roger.

Jun 24, 2005
Visit site
Surely the OP is saying that he's already got a 22" lcd tv so he already knows he could run off mains electricity. Perhaps he might to consider saving the cost of a solar panel and inverter and buy a 12v tv. I know they can be £300+ but it might be a better alternative.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We can all misread things, I've done it my self.

In this thread I read the OP wants to have independence from mains supplies, and I assume its because they will be using sites without EHU's.

It really helps if OP's will follow up their posts by letting us know if we have interpreted their situations correctly, and if the advice offered has been of any use or not.

Feb 3, 2008
Visit site
Magpie2000k said:
....... and obviously fridge heating etc will be off Gas.

As you are a new poster are you aware that the fridge and heater would not run off the battery in any case, so would have to run off gas when you are not on hookup. The battery is normally charged when towing, but of course it is illegal for anyone (other than pets) to be in the van during this time to watch the TV. ;)

Jun 24, 2005
Visit site
ProfJohnL said:
It really helps if OP's will follow up their posts by letting us know if we have interpreted their situations correctly, and if the advice offered has been of any use or not.

Hear hear, it really annoys me when there is no response from posters when advice is offrered.

Oct 21, 2015
Visit site
Hi all my apologies for not replying sooner was away in caravan..
The idea is to be able to use tv when not at an electrical hookup.And If solar can give me enough power for tv then it will save the cost of 12v tv.
Obviously for longer stays I am going to need the solar panel anyway as battery is unlikely to last without hookup for a week plus, or at least I thought so.

Thanks for all the tips has anyone got a similar set up working?

Sorry again for late reply

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts