Tv licence

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I haven't had a tv for about 12 years now,and have informed the authorities of this almost annually. Today, I've received a letter telling me that my details have been passed to their "enforcement Officers" who will "call at any time during the day,evening or weekend".

To me this constitutes a threatening letter. I've written to them again, and emailed the office, again telling them that I don't have a TV.

What would you do next?

Oct 9, 2006
Visit site
Hi Emmerson,

This happened to a friend of mine a few years ago and he never heard from any enforcement officer.

He too was peaved by the wording of the letter he received.

It seems to me that they expect every household to be loyal to the old television set when really the majority of broadcasts are absolute garbage.

I too would love to get rid of the TV and the sky subscription but the better half isn't having any of it.

Anyway, back to the letter, Let them call and check if you have a TV; then tell em to piddle in the wind :)

Andrew

G

You have my deepest sympathies as unfortunately, I suspect this is one you won't win.

In a real world the authorities would check your home, and they can do this without entry using one of those detector van thingies, confirm you do not have a tv and leave you peacefully alone. Unfortunately, this is not a real world anymore and these totally ignorant morons will not stop until they have badgered you either to death, or made you buy a licence just to get rid of them, even although you do not need or wish one. They used to be called double glazing salesmen, now they are Government workers. They are incapable of understanding anything not on their printed piece of paper/computer screen and if they believe that everybody in the UK will want to watch the garbage they put on the tv, then you must have a licence. You may even be lucky enough to find one with just about enough inteligence to understand, and accept your situation, but that will only last until the next moron comes along and starts it all again. Now if you had been from an enthnic minority (or anything that is not British), or had some form of criminality to your past they might have left you alone, because you could have threatened to sue them, and you may even have received a wad of dosh. But unfortunately you belong to the now endangered species of intelligent humans of normal English background, therefore it is their beholden duty to have you corrected at all costs.

My advice?? Contact your MP, if you have one and he/she is not on some expenses paid trip somewhere, and ask them to contact the Licence people on your behalf.

Or, once you have been driven insane by their incessant demands, buy the bloddy licence just to get some peace. It could be the cheapest option.

Or, of course you could just try shooting them when they come through the front door and pretend you are American............? Much more fun.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
You have my deepest sympathies as unfortunately, I suspect this is one you won't win.

In a real world the authorities would check your home, and they can do this without entry using one of those detector van thingies, confirm you do not have a tv and leave you peacefully alone. Unfortunately, this is not a real world anymore and these totally ignorant morons will not stop until they have badgered you either to death, or made you buy a licence just to get rid of them, even although you do not need or wish one. They used to be called double glazing salesmen, now they are Government workers. They are incapable of understanding anything not on their printed piece of paper/computer screen and if they believe that everybody in the UK will want to watch the garbage they put on the tv, then you must have a licence. You may even be lucky enough to find one with just about enough inteligence to understand, and accept your situation, but that will only last until the next moron comes along and starts it all again. Now if you had been from an enthnic minority (or anything that is not British), or had some form of criminality to your past they might have left you alone, because you could have threatened to sue them, and you may even have received a wad of dosh. But unfortunately you belong to the now endangered species of intelligent humans of normal English background, therefore it is their beholden duty to have you corrected at all costs.

My advice?? Contact your MP, if you have one and he/she is not on some expenses paid trip somewhere, and ask them to contact the Licence people on your behalf.

Or, once you have been driven insane by their incessant demands, buy the bloddy licence just to get some peace. It could be the cheapest option.

Or, of course you could just try shooting them when they come through the front door and pretend you are American............? Much more fun.
Scotch Lad, I'm going to report you to colyn ap bridgend!

"normal ENGLISH background" indeed!

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
As I read that post and saw "endangered species of intelligent humans of normal English background" I thought ooooooer!

I was about to warn SL to duck behind the sofa because I envisaged a vase full of daffs heading his way at speed.

I then saw Emmo had made a comment, just think yourself lucky you got away so lightly SL.

Nov 26, 2006
Visit site
Send them a very polite, but very firm, letter to say that you do not have a television, have no intention of having one in the future, and, in the unlikely event that that should change, you will let them know immediately.

Since I did this, I have not heard from them in 5 years - even though they know that I have a video recorder for watching pre-recorded tapes on the computer.

The threat of an "enforcement officer" calling should be ignored. They actually have very few, and you are unlikely to see them; they mostly rely on bluff. CAB tell me that they actually have no right to enter your home without your permission.

Don't let them wind you up. If you have no TV they have got nothing on you.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Old Fogey, I've done that for the last 10 years! It's the tone of the current letter which is annoying me. They are virtually calling me a liar, because they can't keep their records up to date.

I've now asked my Welsh Assembly Member to look into it.

Jul 18, 2006
Visit site
Oldfogey said "Since I did this, I have not heard from them in 5 years - even though they know that I have a video recorder for watching pre-recorded tapes on the computer."

I'm not sure if this was a slip of the finger (on the keyboard) but if you do have indeed a video RECORDER they could try and force you to have a licence as it will have a TV tuner cabable of receiving a TV signal and therefore needs a licence. If it is only a player and not a recorder you tell em to shove it where the sun doesn't shine :)

Nov 26, 2006
Visit site
Rubix, sorry, but you are wrong.

You do not need a licence to own the equipment - only to use it for receiving broadcast pictures. I have this in writing from the TV Licencing.

To make it clearer if they ever do come round, I do not have an aerial, and the channels on the video are not tuned in. Again, this is in accordance with the official advice.

Interestingly, I can also watch programmes online, using iPlayer, as these are "on demand", not broadcast, so not covered by the licence requirement.

May 21, 2008
Visit site
I know what I'd do.

Park the caravan in the front garden, put ten TV ariels on it and wait!!

Then when the TV detector van screeches to a halt outside and the inspector does his bit and find's no telly. I'll wait for the bemused question of hwy is there ten TV arials on the caravan.

I'll reply, the van is not well.

It has van aerial desease!!

He He.

Steve L.

Nov 2, 2005
Visit site
Unfortunately the license is not for a tv only.

Quote "to install or use equipment to watch or record television programme services for example a TV set, dvd/video recorder, set top box, PC with broadcast card or any other TV receiving eqiupment" end quote on back of TV license.

As nearly everyone has PCs and these can access news, sports and certain TV shows down your broadband or other isp, you need a license....

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Smiley, I think that means a PC with a TV tuner card. Not all PCs have them, I don't. I can still watch programmes though from 4oD, BBCi or ITV. The first two you can stream and watch or download which gives a better picture. ITV you can only stream.

Nov 26, 2006
Visit site
This is where they try to bluff you. Unfortunately the wording on the licence and reminder are not what matters - the only thing that counts is the relevant Act.

The Act clearly states that a licence is to give you permission to receive broadcast TV, not to have equipment capable of doing so; it's some years since I looked at the wording, so I won't try to quote it.

Programmes can be broadcast over the internet - it has certainly been done with some sports events - but most systems such as BBC iPlayer are not broadcast, and you do not need a licence to use them, as confirmed on the iPlayer website.

So this evening we watched "No1 Ladies Detective Agency", and tommorrow we will watch Friday's Torchwood. And I really should thank all you people with TV Licences for putting up the money to provide me with all this free entertainment - not to mention BBC Radio!

Jul 18, 2006
Visit site
Well Oldfogey, I am glad you are pleased that you are ripping us off.

We pay for it, you use it.

You have just found a way of bucking the system, I hope you are pleased with yourself !!!

Wether you think you are right or not, I agree with Smiley, and believe you are wrong. Ah well you will be found out if you are wrong, otherwise we will have to eat our words if YOU are right :-(

Jul 18, 2006
Visit site
I have just re-read your last post oldfogey and your statemnt :

"Unfortunately the wording on the licence and reminder are not what matters - the only thing that counts is the relevant Act. "

is contradictory, surely the wording from the licence form part of the act ?

I think it will soon be changed as you have benefited from a programme that was produced with licence payers money, and so you should pay for that privelidge. The "broadcast" part should be irrelivant. You have received the programme in whatever form it has taken, so you should pay for it.

You thanked BBC radio, does that mean you are receiving the signals through a PC or via a radio receiver ?

Nov 26, 2006
Visit site
The problem is that the act is a substantial document, containing the full legal position. The licence or reminder is a brief summary, and is very poorly worded.

The reason I am so sure I am right, is that I have read the Act, and I have a letter from Licensing which confirms that my interpretation is correct.

In one sense perhaps I am "ripping off" what I am watching online - but bear in mind that the BBC confirms that it is completely legal, and makes no attempt, or provides any facility, to take payment. I do, however, anticipate that I will get the DVD's when they come out, so money will end up in the coffers then.

Personally, I believe that ALL TV should be "pay per view", with no TV License or "packages".

As for the radio, there is no radio licence (hasn't been for years) whether you listen to broadcast, live on the net, or "listen again" on thenet, and all BBC radio is paid for from the TV licence fee - barmy, but thanks very much!

Jan 31, 2008
Visit site
Smiley, Rubix - Oldfogey IS right. Shall I get the salt and pepper for your words?

Has no one thought to check on the TV Licencing website?

http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/information/index.jsp
Do I need a TV Licence?

You need a TV Licence to use any television receiving equipment such as a TV set, digital box, DVD or video recorder, PC, laptop or mobile phone to watch or record television programmes as they're being shown on TV.

Will I need a TV Licence to watch programmes on BBC iPlayer?

A TV Licence is needed to watch TV programmes as they're being shown on TV.

At the moment, the BBC iPlayer only offers access to BBC programmes after they have been broadcast - either to download, or via streaming 'on demand'. It is not providing a service where programmes are streamed 'live' at the same time as they are being shown on TV.

Therefore, if you are using your PC or laptop solely to watch TV programmes from the BBC iPlayer service in its current form, you do not need to be covered by a TV Licence.

What if I only use a TV to watch videos/DVDs/as a monitor for my games console? Do I still need a licence?

You do not need a TV Licence if you only use your TV to watch videos and DVDs or as a monitor for your games console.

However, please notify us in writing that this is the case. One of our Enforcement Officers may visit you to confirm that you do not need a licence.

Nov 26, 2006
Visit site
Thanks legs - I guess I ought to have copied from the site as well. The actual Act is a bit more technical and legalistic, but the website is a much better summary than what they put on their paperwork.

I also have reason to think that if they believe you know your rights, and fully understand the legal situation, they will never bother to send one of their limited number of inspectors round to check on you.

I doubt if I would ever see them anyway - even people with detailed instructions can't find this house half the time, paticularly in the dark, which is when they tend to come round on the assumption that everybody will be watching the soaps!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts