tv on 12v

Apr 3, 2021
Visit site
I’ve just. Bought a portable tv for caravan . It works great off the mains. But not of 12 volts.
I bought a 3pin converter for the 12volts but nothing

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I get the feeling the OP is saying he's bought a wallwart type 12V power supply. Which it that is the case it may not be powerfull enough (not enough amperage to work the TV) or of course it won't work if there is no mains available. which is the crux of the situation.

Apr 3, 2021
Visit site
I’m trying to work my tv of 12v.
But it just no working. I bought converter for the 3pln to go into 2pln 12v mains socket in caravan. The power is working in socket in caravan but the tv not working when put the plugs together in 12v socket I’m stuck to why it’s not working, it’s a new tv for motor homes and caravans

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
The 12v in the caravan will never work the TV using the same plug as for the 240v no matter what sort of adaptor you buy. The mains lead from the Tv to the 240v has a transformer on it taking the 240v down to 12v . There is normally another lead for the 12v or you use the 240v lead without the transformer so the 3 pin mains plug is removed. Bit of guess work as we do not know the model of Tv and what leads came with it.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
It hasnt been qualified yet if the 12v socket is actually live. Thats where I would start. It sounds as if its an older caravan if its using the 2 pin 12v, so its worth checking.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
It hasnt been qualified yet if the 12v socket is actually live. Thats where I would start. It sounds as if its an older caravan if its using the 2 pin 12v, so its worth checking.
I think what they are doing is plugging the 3 pin 240v mains plug into an adaptor and then plugging that into the 12v 2 pin socket. Doing that the TV is not going to work.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
He hasnt actually stated that it IS a 12v TV, in which case, and as you quite rightly pointed out, its never going to work off 12v.

Apr 3, 2021
Visit site
Thank you for your reply’s reading them I think I need a different power lead for the tv. Like you said the main power lead has a box on it. A transmitter I think .so I need to get 12v powerlead. The problem I have then is in the caravan I have the two pin power plug. And I have only seen the one for a cicarett lighter. And I don’t have a cicarett lighter in caravan. The tv I bought is a cello 16inch with freeview DVD player. I would love two know where I can get a two pin power lead.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Thank you for your reply’s reading them I think I need a different power lead for the tv. Like you said the main power lead has a box on it. A transmitter I think .so I need to get 12v powerlead. The problem I have then is in the caravan I have the two pin power plug. And I have only seen the one for a cicarett lighter. And I don’t have a cicarett lighter in caravan. The tv I bought is a cello 16inch with freeview DVD player. I would love two know where I can get a two pin power lead.
The Cello should have come standard with the 12v lead. Did you buy the TV brand new or second hand. If new go back to the dealer.
You buy the adaptor as per the link in my earlier post. You then plug that into the 2 pin adaptor. It should look something like THIS.
Our Tv works off 12v but we have enver used the 12v connection. Always on 240v as it does not drain the battery. On 12v the battery will be flat in 4 -5 hours.

Aug 24, 2020
Visit site
I agree with Figbat and others - I'd like to know more about the 3 pin to 2 pin adaptor you bought - can you show us a picture, or give a link to the website you bought it from?

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I've merged two duplicate threads from the same OP together.
Please don't open several threads asking the same question because it becomes confusing for all concerned .

Reactions: ProfJohnL
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Nobby,

Your correspondence with us so far seems to have spread confusion, and it stems from the very limited detail of your descriptions. This suggest you are not very familiar with electrical systems, and that has to be a concern. Even though 12V dc power systems aren't likely to give you an electric shock, incorrect wiring can still pose a problem with short circuits and poor connections melting insulation and starting fires.

I strongly urge you to find someone who is competent to come to your caravan and help you sort it out. and to ensure you are using it correctly. A mistake at best might ruin the television and at worst cause a fire.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts