tv plug in

Jan 22, 2010
Visit site
thanks to everyone who replied to my last question much appreciated.now for my next one can i plug a 19" LCD straight into plug socket or do i need extra kit.

Nov 27, 2009
Visit site
Hi Wayne,

Haven't read your last questionn, but if it has a 240v AC adaptor to 12V then you can plug it straight into a 3 pin 240v plug socket if there is one close to your TV point. This of course assumes that you have a 240v hook up to the caravan!

If you only have a 12v power point then you will need a suitable power plug to connect directly to the TV power-in socket. Based on your description of the AC adaptor, the TV must run on 12 Volts.

Sproket is right to raise a word of caution here and the link he has provided does provide valid information.

Having said that, I have run our 15" LCD Matsui TV with built in DVD for 3 years now off the 12v feed in our Swift caravan with no problems so far. Perhaps I have been lucky. The reason for this is that the TV is permanently fitted to a swivel mount and I didn't want the extra bulk of the AC adaptor strapped to the mount.

The other reason I run it on 12 volts is because whilst on a hook up, I like to switch off the battery charger once in a while to let the caravan battery earn its keep and discharge a little. Never to the point of allowing it to go flat, and strangely the TV sound stops working when the battery voltage drops too far which is the que for switching back on the charger!! I have no scientific proof that this is a good or bad thing for the battery, but we are still on the same battery I bought 7 years ago.

Reg

Jan 12, 2008
Visit site
I have always (5 years) plugged straight into the 12v supply socket.

I assumed thats what it's there for and I don't intend to change now. I looked at the article and it does specifically say quote:-

"Firstly when the engine is NOT running the voltage can be anything from 13.8 volts approximately to - well zero! Secondly when the engine is running the voltage with the addition of the power from the alternator can be well over 14 volts, and anything but stable. Now given that the sets need a steady 12 volts (give or take a tiny amount) to operate correctly it is easy to see that something that has 12 v DC written on it is not necessarily happy just to be connected to a car battery with the variances that can offer."

Well firstly how often do you watch TV with the van linked to the car and the engine running?

And secondly I very much doubt if any TV manufacturer would produce a TV which only has the ability to handle a very tiny voltage variation as they would have TV's blowing up all over the place.

Check the output voltage of the 12vdc PSU you might have a surprise!

I just did......... 14.6vdc.

What the article is suggesting is that the TV PSU is a precision built product........ I don't think so.

Nov 27, 2009
Visit site
I share your scepticism Reg and, as per my earlier post, have always used a 12v supply. When you took your 14.6v reading though, was this just testing the voltage on the end of the plug without it connected to the TV? If so, that doesn't mean that it will still be 14.6V when the lead is plugged in and the TV is operating. The "open" voltage on many such PSU's can be higher without the load connected.

Nov 28, 2007
Visit site
We've got a 15" Hitachi TV/DVD combi and the 12v PSU outputs exactly 12.1v (according to my non-calibrated digital voltmeter) So I reckon if they've put a bit of effort into providing a stabilised supply then I's not worth trying the TV out on 13.8 or thereabouts, perhaps I should have tried it while it was still under warranty!

Nov 4, 2004
Visit site
I have never used a regulated supply and tv's have been fine over the years.A regulated supply will provide 12v's if the voltage is over 12v's under and it will match its input

TRENDING THREADS