TV programmes

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
Have a Sat. dish and when we finally got it working up in the Highlands of Scotland over Christmas we received East Midlands TV. Can't figure out why and it didn't really matter, just seemed odd.

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
Chris,

I assume you live in the East Midlands - and that's what you normally watch?

The satellite broadcasts all of the regional variations acros the whole reception area, so just choose what you want to watch from the tuning menu.

Robert

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Your viewing card will be set to your home region but you should be able to select any regional transmission but looking through the channel list.

Dec 4, 2005
Visit site
Your viewing card will be set to your home region but you should be able to select any regional transmission but looking through the channel list.
We take our system to France and get old Fred Dineage on Meridian. As has been said unless you alter anything it will carry on the same as it does at home

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Have you tried leaving the TV behind, I even disconnected the radio as soon as I got the latest van.

Five or six weeks a year with out tv and depressing news is heaven and less stuff in the van the better!

No music no video it is brilliant.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Chris - sense at last - I have often wandered why people carry such things as satelite dishes with them. Before long they will even be taking the kitchen sink. I go away to relax and get away from all the hassle of day to day living.

May 21, 2008
Visit site
You actually mean you lot can actually find a program on TV worth watching that's not a repeat!!!

I can see why pay per view for all channels is not happening. I'd be well off.

Over crimbo we tried to find something worth watching from 800 channels avaiable to us and guess what, we ended up watching a pirate DVD instead.

All I need my TV for on holiday is local news (only if I'm back at the van at the time) and weather.

Caravanning for me is escaping the rat race we live in today.

Steve.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Kevin, I do sit back and watch the entertainment at home, there are a few select programs that I enjoy, so why should I forget about them simply because I'm in the van? It's also a great way to keep the kids quiet for an hour or two. We still manage to get out and about during the holiday, I fish, golf, and partake of the sites recreational facilities, so what's wrong with popping the TV on in the morning for the news and for a couple of hours in the evening before we go out? Steve in Leo, if you're so tired of the "Rat race" perhaps a lifestyle change is in order? I have been there myself, always chased the money and sacrificed family life to achieve it, these days I have a much lower wage but much less stress and more time on my hands. Means I can enjoy what on the box while I'm in the van too!

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Sorry Lol, I didn't mean to upset or offend anyone with my views.

We set the recorder for those progs that we'd miss. Mind you we gave that a miss a while back as we could never be bothered to watch what we realised we had not missed.

I had three live wire kids when we were younger and good holiday destinations and with good camp site entertainment they never asked about TV by the time they had got to a site.

My eldestr daughter is virtually fluent in French due to holidays there and hanging out with campsite kids on holiday.

I avoid overseas campsites where they group all the brits together, last thing I want is to hear Trevor McDonut's tones or the Blue Peter theme tune ringing acroos the site.

Plenty of books to catch up on and it really is worth trying, we took a TV once 20 odd years ago and that was the last time. Not forcing my views on anyone but I think it is worth trying, people moan about the youth of today and a couple of weeks away from the box and other tricks seems to do them good.

Mind you it would be a bit boring if there was no one on campsites cursing over the Sat Dish and other gizmo's :)

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
We enjoy logging onto the Internet and reading my emails and looking at web sites relating to the area where we are sited. Then later in the evening I tune into my favourite Sky channel and relax some more. Having a radio/Cd player in the van helps during the day as we can always tune into the local radio station to get the latest updates. So relaxing!

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
We never take a TV in the 'van either. As long as I have my books and my CD's I'm happy.

The biggest bit of entertainment on a site for us is some pillock trying to tune in his Sky dish in the pouring rain.IMO there's nothing that good on TV that warrants getting sodden wet over!!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We don't even have TV in the house. Got rid about ten years ago, and have never missed it.Watch an occasional DVD on the computer, but even that is a rare event.Too many books to read,and music to listen to.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We don't even have TV in the house. Got rid about ten years ago, and have never missed it.Watch an occasional DVD on the computer, but even that is a rare event.Too many books to read,and music to listen to.
Emmerson, how do you know you haven't missed the world of TV? Would you have missed it, if you had seen the excellent TV series recently run on Discovery about caravans and caravan life? Would you have missed it, if you had seen it when the twin towers came down on 9/11? The same goes for many cultural, informative and sometimes downright funny series that have been on TV over the last ten years? Now, don't get me wrong, there is a lot of dross on the box too, termed as "fillers" in my opinion, between the occasional inspired storyline. I too like to read and take the opportunity while in the van to read even more, in fact I'm just in the middle of Arthur C Clarks 2061 Odyssey Three (for the second time) that's the beauty of caravanning, anything anywhere within reason! To deny yourself such a huge source of media, in my opinion means you limit yourself. Besides, some of the adverts broadcast today are so damn clever......

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
⇦ prefers no tv in the van but Her Ladyship cannot do without Eastenders, Casualty, Holby City and Heartbeat. It cracks me up especially the 2 hospital soaps. If I do watch anything its either the news or something factual, I cant be doing with that other cr*p. If the radio goes on its only to hear the local weather, we have CDs to listen too if its music we want but to be truthful I would much prefer to read and listen to the birds if relaxing.I have to agree with Wendy, theres nothing on telly that I would be prepared to get sodden for. Oops wait, maybe if it was the world cup and England was playing but then again I haven't got a receiver to set up. :O)

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
⇦ prefers no tv in the van but Her Ladyship cannot do without Eastenders, Casualty, Holby City and Heartbeat. It cracks me up especially the 2 hospital soaps. If I do watch anything its either the news or something factual, I cant be doing with that other cr*p. If the radio goes on its only to hear the local weather, we have CDs to listen too if its music we want but to be truthful I would much prefer to read and listen to the birds if relaxing.I have to agree with Wendy, theres nothing on telly that I would be prepared to get sodden for. Oops wait, maybe if it was the world cup and England was playing but then again I haven't got a receiver to set up. :O)
... p.s. if we get to a site and theres no signal I inwardly breathe a sigh of relief. I've never told Her Ladyship that though :O)

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
God help me I seem to have a lot in common with the landed gentry :)

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Looks like I've got simlar interest. Twiddling ariels is not sport. Casting the bait out to catch tea is though.

san

Jan 18, 2006
Visit site
hi, we take our tv for watchingin the evenings, we go out & about during the day looking around the area near were we are staying, sometimes look at the weather in the morning before we go out, but i think people can do what they like when they like thats what caravaning is all about.

Aug 28, 2005
Visit site
Kevin, I do sit back and watch the entertainment at home, there are a few select programs that I enjoy, so why should I forget about them simply because I'm in the van? It's also a great way to keep the kids quiet for an hour or two. We still manage to get out and about during the holiday, I fish, golf, and partake of the sites recreational facilities, so what's wrong with popping the TV on in the morning for the news and for a couple of hours in the evening before we go out? Steve in Leo, if you're so tired of the "Rat race" perhaps a lifestyle change is in order? I have been there myself, always chased the money and sacrificed family life to achieve it, these days I have a much lower wage but much less stress and more time on my hands. Means I can enjoy what on the box while I'm in the van too!
my sentiments exactly lol

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts