Tv reception in France

Mar 11, 2008
Visit site
I have a fairly new, standard flat screen LCD colour TV & digibox if needed. Can I receive TV reception in France with this set up ? If not then why not ?

Thanks Barry

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
The answer to your question is no. The French tv system uses SECAM the british system uses PAL, the two systems are not compatible, if you want tv in France use a satalite system.

Steve W

G

You might be OK - my cheapo 10 inch telly bought on ebay supports SECAM as well as PAL, have a look in the settings menu.

Pete
Unless you speak French, getting TV reception in France will not be a lot of good for you!

Invest in a satellite system, best place for advice is

http://www.satelliteforcaravans.co.uk/
there you can find what you need and what you can receive in Europe with various setup's.

Maplins and Lidl do some bargain sat systems at times!

Apr 5, 2005
Visit site
I picked up reasonable TV in France at Castellane this year on my analogue/digital domestic flat screen TV. I took my satellite kit but didn't need it. I only watched the news and movies as French TV is not very stimulating!

Alan

Jul 31, 2006
Visit site
Barry,

The answer to your question is yes & no, but your question really needs qualifying, by TV reception in France one assumes you mean UK tv? if so it would be highly unlikely you'd get a digital signal as south UK (Kent, Sussex & Hampshire,the nearest counties to France)we're not set to go digital untill 2012 & what digital signal we can get is very, very weak! it's possible that you might or could get an anologue uk signal in Brittany & some parts of Normandy, you'd need a really good high gain aerial set quite high up, but the odds are the French TV signal will "bleed" over the UK signal giving you ghosting & a picture thats almost impossible to watch.

The only sure fire way of getting UK tv in France is to go satelite, that is Sky digibox + freesat card & a satelite dish set up.

Hope that clears up your question?

GeorgeB

Aug 17, 2008
Visit site
Hello, I live in France and I tour around with my touring caravan. To recieve English TV. You require a small oval Sky dish and a digi-box. No card is required if you only want to watch the BBC and ITV channels. For a few pounds you can purchase a dish meter and you can set up in minutes.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Barry,

The answer to your question is yes & no, but your question really needs qualifying, by TV reception in France one assumes you mean UK tv? if so it would be highly unlikely you'd get a digital signal as south UK (Kent, Sussex & Hampshire,the nearest counties to France)we're not set to go digital untill 2012 & what digital signal we can get is very, very weak! it's possible that you might or could get an anologue uk signal in Brittany & some parts of Normandy, you'd need a really good high gain aerial set quite high up, but the odds are the French TV signal will "bleed" over the UK signal giving you ghosting & a picture thats almost impossible to watch.

The only sure fire way of getting UK tv in France is to go satelite, that is Sky digibox + freesat card & a satelite dish set up.

Hope that clears up your question?

GeorgeB
Sky is not needed but a digibox of some description is.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts