TV Reception in North Devon

Nov 9, 2006
Visit site
Has anyone holidayed in North Devon recently (Wollacombe area to be precise) and managed to get Freeview Digital TV reception when using the flying saucer aerial on the van?

Just wondering if I need to invest in a new aerial for when I visit in afew weeks time.

Thought that now the area is digital only, and the digital signal strength may be higher that when it was both analogue and digital, I would be able to get a reasonable signal from the Omni aerial.

Thanks

Wombat

Feb 19, 2010
Visit site
We've just come back from the Braunton area, and the reception was 100%. Managed to pick up ALL the Freeview stations after tuning our TV.

We use (and always have used) a 10' aluminium pole which is secured to our jockey wheel clamp, and a normal domestic TV aerial. There is, incidentally, no such thing as a "Digital Aerial" despite the spin that TV aerial fitters will give you.

Any aerial in good condition will receive a digital signal.

We have never found the fitted aerials (Omni etc) to be any use whatsoever in over 38 years of caravanning. We just erect ours in about 5 minutes flat, and we have TV.

Jul 11, 2006
Visit site
A correction there for Keith, the aerial on your pole must be of the wideband variety to make sure it will work anywhere.

Per the query from the OP, a daft question maybe, but have you done a fresh install on your TV? It is no good just asking it to search as it will likely just look for changes and updates on whatever it already has in memory. If there is a 'software reset' option do that, then it will search from scratch.

Nov 9, 2006
Visit site
Thanks for all the replies.

No definite conclusion for the status omni directional then!

I am going to Damage Barton, clear line of sight for South Wales, not sure where the local transmitter is located.

When we were there last year we picked up Welsh analogue telly OK (great if you're a rugby lover - and I am).

I will give the omni a go, and if that fails I will buy an external aerial from somewhere local, either Braunton or that other caravan dealer/site up the road towards Combe Martin (can't remember the name).

I have some old poles from a kids climbing frame, so I'll take a couple of those just in case.

What I really need though is an awning channel mounting bracket - the wife won't let me use the jockey wheel because she demands an un-interupted view of the sea when we are on site.

So, any hints for where I can get an awning channel mouting kit for a pole, that is held at both the top and bottom channel?

Thanks

for any replies

Wombat

Jul 11, 2006
Visit site
Hi I cant help with the bracket but I can tell you that since the switchover I have not been able to get a TV picture on my omni aerial. So I use a Standard aerial on a pole.

You will get the Welsh channels first when you tune but the local ones will be lower down around channel 800. I dont live in North Devon just a bit up the coast but it is the same here.

Feb 19, 2010
Visit site
Hi Wombat:

Those kits that clamp to the awning rail are not very good. First good wind that comes along....and they break! Waste of money in my book.

I'd save your money, and persuade your wife that the small amount of view she will lose (almost negligible) will be more than compensated for by a good picture and a soundly mounted aerial.

As to aerials:

I stand by my original post. ALL aerials WILL receive digital and there in no such thing as a digital aerial. We have a guy here who fits them for a living and like he says....he COULD make a lot of money by conning people to the contrary.....but he's got more respect for himself and his customers, many of whom are elderly and have absolutely ancient aerials on their roofs....been up there 30 or 40 years...and they pick up Digital TV no problem..

He suggests that you look at this:

P.A.R.A.S

WE currently use a Philex SLx 14DW TV Aerial. Argos code 535/6443 @

Apr 17, 2007
Visit site
You're coming to North Devon. You won't need a telly.

Just look out of your window it's bound to be more interesting than anything on the box.

Paul.

North Devon.

Nov 9, 2006
Visit site
Thanks for the responses everyone.

I'm going to take me luck and see what reception I get off the flying saucer/status thingie.

If it's rubbish I'll have to think of something while I'm there.

Wombat

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts