Twin Axle Caravans

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I am considering purchasing a twin axle van, having pulled a single van for many years.

My wife is against it for 1) our age. and 2) problems associated with pitching a twin axle.

I point out that pitching should not be a problem if we fit a mover.

please would people give me their advices.

I also seek any information on the Bessacar Cameo range

Thanks in anticipation

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Age has nothing to do with it, let the car or the motor mover take the strain, you can be a fit 20 year old, and still not turn a twin in some circumstances. Setting up is near enough identical to a single; in fact it can be quicker as there is less need for an awning. If you fancy a twin then go for it, before it becomes that itch you can't scratch!

Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
Shiraz

I ask a bout a twin axle caravan a bit back on this forum. I cannot thing which one I put under so myth have to look for it. I ask what the good and bad of them I only got one person who sed soothing about it.

Still think of getting one just got to sort so thing out fist cud be 2 to 3 years.

I got a bad back so I had a mover fitted to my single axle caravan. Dues the job for me.

I use it all the time when pinching up and put in the van storage.

Mark

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Shiraz - we've been vanning for almost 20 years, and are now on our 4th van. During this time we've had 2 twin axles - no problem pitching them - provided your reversing skills are ok, or if you fit a mover then it'll be even easier.

The Pros:-

Easier to reverse as slower to react

Stable towing

Higher loading margins

More spacious

Most have seperate sleeping/living areas with solid or folding dividers

Most tend to be top of the range and are therefore better equipped

Huge range of layouts

The cons:-

You'll need a hefty tug or 4x4 to tow safely

Higher servicing & tyre replacement costs

Higher insurance premiums

Higher initial purchase costs

Can be difficult to site on small pitches

Some sites don't permit them (although we've never been refused)

More expensive to take on ferries

Fuel economy worse due to extra weight

Can be more difficult to level across the axles

Higher noseweights

Larger storage area required

At the end of the day, you pays your money and takes your choice! Whatever you decide, enjoy! Sorry can't help with the Bessacarr range, other than I know they're very well respected and highly thought of as a luxury top end van.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Shiraz,

In usage terms there is not much difference between single and twin axle outfits, but setting up and towing are different.

Setting an accurate nose load can be tricky as the suspension of the axles interact and even a slight change in the height of the coupling can make a very big difference to the resultant nose load.

And whilst towing, each bump in the road is translated twice by the twin wheels and this joggles the tow vehicle more, which some people can find unsettling.

Neither of these issues should put you off from trying a twin.

May 21, 2008
Visit site
I tow a twenty foot twin axle van with our 1998 Laguna estate (2 Ltr ). It is towing at 100% capacity, but we haven't had any trouble at all.

Towing stability is far better than a single axle and as for fuel consumption, it is only relative to the weight towed.

We have only had one site where size mattered. The biggest thing we suffer is wet grass. Our car is front wheel drive, so we do have to use hard standing pitches, or pitch up leaving the front wheels of the car on the roadway so that we have grip to pull off. Other than that there realy is no draw backs.

When there's just the two of us we don't have to wrestle the awning up, so pitching is a 20 min afair.

Oct 17, 2005
Visit site
Shiraz,

I personally go for twin axle due to the size inside. You can get fairly long single axle caravans but I find towing a twin axle more pleasurable, My current caravan is an ABI Target 575 which is 24ft long and my Vauxhall Omega 2.0 hardly feels it. When pitching just reverse to the right for an easier life and if the pitches are marked you can see clearly where your position is which saves shouting at your partner who isn't clear in directing. I've never heard of a twin wheeler being turned away unless its of european design like the LMC or Hobby as these are generally used by Gypsy's or travellers or just too big. So unless your towing on a transit van you should be fine! I must add that I am in no way prejudice towards people who live in caravans. On a final note, I would recommend going on a hard standing in unsettled weather or during the wet season in april/may time as its embarrasing going of to find a farmer or owner of a 4x4. As a lorry driver, I've embedded a wagon many a time. On a whole, your touring should be more enjoyable from my personal experience and when shipping on a ferry just arrange your crossing through www.alanrogersdirect.com who book your holiday and caravans go free on the ferry.

Barry

TRENDING THREADS