Twin or single axel

Sep 10, 2007
Visit site
My sister keeps advising me to only concider a single axel as she states most sites wont let twin axel on site. the reason she states is due to sites thinking it might be gypsies.

I rather fancy a twin as they seem a bit bigger to move about in. the last thing i want is to be having to make up a bed from the lounge seating when im half cut late at night. i would rather have a van that has a fixed bed to the rear and therefore not have to muck about setting up a bed.

whats the thoughts hre people.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Mark,

Over the years I have used both single and twin axle units, without any problems. Now I realise I have not used all the sites in the country, but I do not personally know of any of my friends with T/A's who have had a problem.

With regards to size of caravan and the number of axles, there is not always a direct correlation, Bessacar used a lot of T/A chassis even on small vans, and ABI made some quite large ones on a singles, so its really a question of finding the layout you prefer, and going for it.

Technically there is little to choose between singles and twins. The jury is still out on if there is any safety benefit of either format. In terms of towability again there is diversity in the views expressed on this forum, so it is likely there is not a lot to choose.

I have no doubt that a single axle van is easier to man (or woman or mixed) handle on to a site. And a twin axle may have a lower payload capacity because part of the caravans ability is already used up by the weight of the second axle.

As always it is important to watch your weights, and to balance the load correctly for you outfit.

Make you choice and pay your money. - happy caravaning

Dec 27, 2006
Visit site
We have had both single and twin axle vans , for us the twin wins as it gives us more living space inside. There is little between them , however if correctly loaded I find the twin is slightly more stable on the road , to date we havent found any sites in the UK which dont take twin axle vans.

Disadvantage as has been stated is moving the van by hand which is very difficult and for that reason we have a mover fitted. Although when reversing with the car I find it a lot easier with the twin than with the single axle. Other point to remember is that twins tend to be heavier so need larger tow cars.

May 29, 2007
Visit site
Mark your sister is talking twaddle! We have a Twin and every site we have been to the owners or wardens have remarked what a lovely caravan it is. I think we we could'nt look more like pikeys if we tried! We pull ours with a Nissan Navara D22, which is Blinged to hell and back. You would'nt find that much chrome in a scrap yard.LOL

May 29, 2007
Visit site
To solve the moving about problem(hate reversing) Had a power touch series 6 mover fitted. The caravan will go anywhere now.

It is so easy to move, i can do it on my own.

I love the fixed bad and the end bathroom behind the bedroom. One site the showers were not up to much so shower morning and night in the van! Don't use site showers anymore, i just bring extra towels.

Also something you get on the TA is a fridge and freezer , really handy.

We have to huge doggies and we love the extra room and space.

As for towing it feels like its not on the back, but thats more down to the tow car.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
The size and layout is what is important. The number of axles is rather incidental unless you have a need for a really big caravan. Once you have had a look at what a large single axle has to offer in the way of space you will be able to judge for yourself whether this is adequate. Otherwise it's a matter of personal preference.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts