Two leisure batteries - can they be linked

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
I have just bought a 2011 Bessacarr E435 which has provision for a second battery adjacent to the existing one but there appears to be only one set of terminal connectors. Is there any way of linking the two batteries so they are both charged or is the second battery only useable when I transfer the terminal connectors? I can see some advantage of two batteries in this scenario but it seems a lot of bother changing over.

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
Hi Lakewolf
I'm no electrician, but ...
They need to be connected together, "in parallel." That will keep the voltage the same, but (roughly) double the capacity, and whenever one is being charged (whether from alternator or mains hook-up) the other will be charged too.
It involves making a good solid connection between the two positive (usually red) terminals and another between the two negative ones. Most people would also probably advise putting a fuse between the positive terminals.
If you're not confident enough about your own electrical knowledge to do this yourself, ask someone who is, but if you've a basic idea of how electricity works it's a fairly straightforward DIY job.
There are certainly people on here who know more about this than I do, so hang on a bit and one of them will no doubt correct or clarify something I've written!

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
Hi Tony Thanks for that - I guessed an "in parallel" connection was what was needed but I am not sure how to physically make the connections as there is little space on the terminals of the original battery to add another connection to link to the second battery. So if anyone has any advice about what to use and are there kits for this sort of thing it would be appreciated.

RED

Feb 16, 2012
Visit site
Hi Lakewolf. I have also just bought a Bessacarr E435 but an older model 2007. I am a complete novice so am having to learn everything from scratch. I have one, probably very stupid, question which I'm hoping you might be able to help me with - where is the leisure battery located?
Thanks RED

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
Hi the batteries in mine are located in the outside locker on the passenger side of the vehicle. There is a false floor in the locker and the battery is under that. Good hunting!

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I have recently made enquiries about a second battery in my Bessacar and have been told they MUST be exactly the same battery? This was from Whitearches in Wellingborough.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts