Tyre advice

Sep 6, 2016
Visit site
Tyre advice please. I fulltime in my 23ft moho and have for the past 2 years driven 10,000 miles per year, mainly in Spain, France and Portugal on summer tyres but not in intense heat or cold. Planning on doing a bit of winter driving in Germany and through the French Alps, always in the UK during the summer. I am considering all season tyres rather than have the hassle of storing and changing winter/summer. Is this the best choice to make?

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
Welcome to the forum Maggie - looking forward to hearing more about your travels!
The business of switching tyres seasonally has always seemed a bit over the top to me, unless you're expecting a lot of extreme conditions. We're motorhomers, not Ice Road Truckers!
But for winter in the Alps, you WILL need snow chains. Given that, I'd have thought that good quality all-weather tyres should be fine.
Anyone with experience feel any differently?

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
Btw, why back to the UK for summer? Plenty of us can't wait to get away from the unpredictable weather and predictable traffic jams! Unless you've got family to catch up with of course.

Sep 6, 2016
Visit site
Yes, my kids and grandkid think I should put in an appearance occasionally, as do my brother and my friends, otherwise I probably wouldn't bother!

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
Lizzie, I know it's different from motorhoming, and you can't advise on behalf of the magazine, but from your motor sport experience what would be your PERSONAL view of Maggie's original question?

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
TonyJones said:
Lizzie, I know it's different from motorhoming, and you can't advise on behalf of the magazine, but from your motor sport experience what would be your PERSONAL view of Maggie's original question?

I'm not au fait enough with the detail of the tyre regulations in the countries Maggie is looking to tour to, and whether all-season tyres rather than dedicated winter rubber is sufficient. Also, with such a heavy (and expensive) motorhome, I'm not sure I'd take the chance if towing on wintery roads. Tyres are your only point of contact with the road and one of the most important but underrated aspects of vehicle safety.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts