Tyre Pressures and Extreme Heat / Temp

Jul 4, 2005
Visit site
Obviously this is not going to be an issue in the UK this year, but were off to the South of france next week, who seem to be enjoying temps up to 40 degrees.

The tyre pressures on my Abbey are 65 psi (high already) and the tyres are fitted with the standard car type 'Shrader' valve. Now I believe these valves are rated up to about 75psi and are not suitable for high pressures. In extreme temps your tyre pressures can rise by nearly 20 psi?... or so ive been led to believe.

In fact, my father in law had 2 Schrader valves blow out of his tyres whilst travelling in his Hymer last year, causing the inner tyres on the twin axle to deflate and shred whilst on the vehicle. This was in extreme heat.

My concerns are, should I decrease the tyre pressure in extreme heat to the correct level?....this will mean re-adjusting them as the temps fluctuate and I travel north again, or am I just being an old woman and worrying too much!?

Mar 19, 2007
Visit site
Hi,

I've never been aware of any problem in these conditions but then we have a twin axle and run at 36psi. If you do decide to adjust the pressures remember that they should be done when cold ie not having been driven, irrespective of the ambient temperature.

Sep 23, 2006
Visit site
Yes, My Abbey also has 65psi tyre pressures, I'd never thought about problems with the valves. Don't know what others think but perhaps an answer if the heat is too extreme may be to take more frequent stops, if only for a few minutes to let the tyres cool down. Also are there any heavier duty valve assemblies available that could cope with higher pressures?

Any tyre fitters reading this??

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts