Tyre Pressures

May 21, 2008
Visit site
First of all look carefully at the side wall of your tyres. You should find a load rating stating some thing like this. 1050Kgs at 36psi max rating. This is the maximum load rating for the tyre and the maximum air pressure for it.

I would use that as a guide for the maximum pressure, and try working about 5psi below that. Then on your next journey stop after about twenty miles and check to see how hot the tyres are. Go up a couple of psi and try again. You may not get any desernable difference in either handling or heat but fi you arrive at a pressure where the tyres seem to not get excessiveley warm you will of reached the optimum pressure.

I run my tyres at max tyre pressure as they look too low at any other, and they don't get hot.

May 13, 2005
Visit site
First of all look carefully at the side wall of your tyres. You should find a load rating stating some thing like this. 1050Kgs at 36psi max rating. This is the maximum load rating for the tyre and the maximum air pressure for it.

I would use that as a guide for the maximum pressure, and try working about 5psi below that. Then on your next journey stop after about twenty miles and check to see how hot the tyres are. Go up a couple of psi and try again. You may not get any desernable difference in either handling or heat but fi you arrive at a pressure where the tyres seem to not get excessiveley warm you will of reached the optimum pressure.

I run my tyres at max tyre pressure as they look too low at any other, and they don't get hot.
Thanks for the suggestion Steve. On the tyre it says 1074lbs at 44psi max. However I work with tyres (not caravans though!) and I know max pressure isn't the same as working pressure - too high a pressure can lead to tyres wearing excessively in the centre and poor roadholding. However as a starting point your advice seems sound and I'll probably use about 40psi unless anyone has any other ideas?

Thanks all.

Apr 2, 2005
Visit site
Hi

Are they reinforced or "C" rated (commercial tyres) if so pressures will be a lot higher(Up to 3.5bar...54Psi) The pressure and weight on the side wall is only for the U.S. market. All tyres car, van, caravan, truck should be inflated to the pressures shown on a load and inflation chart to suit the load being carried assuming the capacity of the tyre is suitable in the first place. As most caravans have the smallest capacity tyre the maker can get away with they are on limit all the time. Upsize when changing so the tyre has a reserve of weight carrying capacity. The previous comment about feeling for temperature and tyres looking soft is naive to say the least and not good advice. Visit a tyre supplier it may avoid a blowout or tread coming off!!!

TRENDING THREADS