Tyre Tread Depth

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
A friend of mine has told me, that when I travel to France, I will need to ensure I have a minimum Tyre tread depth of 4mm. Is this correct?
Regards
Peter

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Just a note to anyone travelling to Austria in the winter.
Winter tyres with a tread depth of less than 4mm count as summer tyres in Austria and are therefore illegal in winter driving conditions (1. November to 15. April) in that country.

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
With the very low mileage that most caravans do, I think that if you only have 4.0mm of tread left, then your tyre is almost certainly age-expired, and should be replaced anyway.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Re Lutz's comment about the legality of winter tyres with 4mm tread depth. The uk tyre industry do not widely publicise the fact that at below 4mm they are much less effective and those who by second hand tyres are getting those that European drivers have taken off on account of no longer effective. In the US Continental market a tyre called Extreme DWS and the snow effectiveness marker disappears at 6mm tread depth.

Dec 12, 2007
Visit site
Hi all

as a ex hgv driver I follow the advise from companys that i have worked for and that is change your car tyres when the tred is down to 3 mil Your van tyres go on age and inspection but if in doubt take your wheels off and take them to your local tyre man for inspection

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts