tyre type? Please help

May 28, 2005
Visit site
Hi I am new to caravaning and have just bought a 1993 fleetwood garland van, 2 berth 16 ft ( not sure of the weight). What I need to know is can I fit normal car tyres to the van, I have some 15" alloys from a new mini cooper and they fit on the van perfectly and look better than the originals. Is this ok? The tyres are dunlop sport and have a max rating of 500kg at 51psi on the tyre side wall. The tyres which came off the van were pirelli p4 and had a rating of 950lbs. I look forward to the forums advice! Rob.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Robert.

In general single axle caravans should be fitted with 6ply rated tyres, but in any eventuality you must replace the tyres with ones of equal or higher rating than then the manufactures specification.

If you use a lower rated tyre, Your insurance cover would be void as the trailer/vehicle would be classed as not roadworthy. You will be increasing the risk of a thermally induced blowout or overloading the tyre, and be liable to prosecution for an unsafe vehicle.

Check in your caravan handbook or with the dealer/manufacture to confirm the minimum specification for the tyres. Always inflate the tyres to the trailer/caravan manufactures specification.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
also dont forget,if the caravan tyres are 6 ply,you must not fit (if only one tyre is to be changed) a higher ply tyre 8ply as opposed to original 6.both tyres would need a different pressure to work correctly

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
also dont forget,if the caravan tyres are 6 ply,you must not fit (if only one tyre is to be changed) a higher ply tyre 8ply as opposed to original 6.both tyres would need a different pressure to work correctly
Thanks for the added note.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Robert

I would advise that you go to Thecampingandcaravaningclub.co.uk download their technical bulliton on tyres this will give you all the correct info you need

Jim M

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts