Tyres for towing vehicle

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
The original Hankooks on my Sorie lasted 40k.

I replaced them with B F Goodrich All Terrains which have done very well too, After 20k still plenty of meat left.

Just wondered what everyone else uses, bearing in mind there must be hundreds of different tyres out there,

Cheers

Alan

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Tyre wear is dependent on tyre type and usage - all-terrain tyres used at high speed on dry tarmac will have short lives but the same tyres at low speed on wet grass will last for ever.

Life of tyres also depends heavily when you replace them - those of us who replace at 3mm tread depth, for road safety reasons, obviously don't get as much life as those who go down to the legal limit of 1.6mm

Apart from the handful of enthusiasts who go "green-laning" and rallying caravanners, I'm surprised that so many 4x4s use "terrain" tyres yet spend all their life on tarmac.

My present towcar is a conventional estate but with 4wd - it's OE tyres were "all-season" specification which seem eminently more sensible for UK caravanning than "summer", "winter" or "terrain". They have more wet grip than summer or winter tyres, albeit at the expense of ultimate grip in dry and snow/ice conditions - ideal for the UK climate I'd say!

To add anecdotal brand evidence, my OE Yokohama Geolandar G900B will last to 27,000 miles as a set of 4, down to 3mm. They'll be replaced by Pirelli Scorpion STR which should last 50% longer.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Hi,

I use Avon Ranger H on my Sorento with 16inch wheels. They are far better than the original OEM Kuhmo and work well when I go off road onto fields and CLs. They give good feel (well good for a large 4x4) and I have had them on for 20k miles now with plenty of wear left.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Also put Avon Ranger's on our Sorie about three months ago. Agree with Clive they do work better on wet grass than the original Kumho's, and there has been pleny of wet grass to try them on this summer.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts