Tyres/Motor Mover

Jun 10, 2005
Visit site
My tyres on my Eldis Knight 1993 which I purchased second hand, needed replacing. The tyre size is 175x13, 94/92N 6ply, but I was told by the garage that Avon did not make that tyre anymore and so they replaced my old tyres with a Malaysian make

(SIME TYRES) same load rating and they have the E mark for european standard.

The replacement tyre size is 175x13, 97/95N 8PR and the new tyres cost £30 each but are slightly smaller than the originals.

I have since discovered that Avon do still make the original tyre and the cost is £62 each.

Now I have a problem because I had a Powrwheel Motor Mover fitted just before replacing the tyres and now the roller needs adjustment.

Has anyone tried the above mentioned tyre and experienced any of these problems.

I would appreciate any feedback, Keith.

May 25, 2005
Visit site
Hi Keith

I suspect the garage you took your caravan to didn't stock Avon tyres. But, if they told you that Avon no longer supplied your tyres and you subsequently find out that they do I would go back to the garage and talk to the manager. If he is not helpful then I would go to the Trading Standards Department and ask them what your 'rights' are in this particular instance. It may be that the garage does not supply Avon tyres but are the alternative ones good enough for the job? Well worth finding out before the event rather than after! Good luck

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
You will find the rollers of a mover need adjustment from time to time, regardless of the make of tyre. There is bound to be some wear on the tyre iteslf and also on the roller of the miver, particularly if you have used it on damp fine gravel surfaces.

It's not that difficult, although you have to be careful not to over-tighen and shear the U bolts on the Powrtouch unit.

I suggest you should check the gaps at least once a season depending on mileage covered.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I frequently have to readjust if the rollers start to slip.

You also need to loosen the metal blocks which the mover pushes against and push them up against the mover to stop it slipping back.

The U-bolts on their own will not prevent the mover moving along the chassis.

Mine has two metal blocks behind each mover not as shown in an article in a certain publication where they had one in front and one behind.

Oops

Aug 2, 2006
Visit site
Hi Keith,Both the observations in the previous posts are correct, the gap between the roller and tyre should be 20mm, we when fitting movers have a small length of 20mm sq. timber to make sure the gap is even each side to ensure the mover pulls straight.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
You will find the rollers of a mover need adjustment from time to time, regardless of the make of tyre. There is bound to be some wear on the tyre iteslf and also on the roller of the miver, particularly if you have used it on damp fine gravel surfaces.

It's not that difficult, although you have to be careful not to over-tighen and shear the U bolts on the Powrtouch unit.

I suggest you should check the gaps at least once a season depending on mileage covered.
My dealer tells me that if a caravan has a motor mover fitted, they automatically check the adjustment during the annual service.

Had mine done in April and boy, what a difference.

Vic

TRENDING THREADS