May 15, 2007
Visit site
Morning all, I have just returned from a 2 week break at Crakehall Watermill at Bedale, very nice, chilled out !!!. On returning i noticed while putting on the wheel clamps (dreaded Alko on twin wheels) there were small cracks apearing on the tyre walls, not good me thinks , but they are 6 years old according to the marks. Now, thinking about replacements , how do i get a large caravan into a tyre fitting bay and will they know how to jack up the van without damage ??, or do i get a mobile fitter to do it on my drive ?. Any suggestions please, where have you had yours done !!!!!!!!

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Hi Graham
Glad you had a good break.

Always set to change tyres every five years so you are doing the right thing.

ATS and E Tyres both come to your home / storage and are competitively priced . Jacking up must be done using the specific jack points on the chassis or directly on the axles. Insist all wheels are balanced.

Good luck on your next trip.

Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
I normally take the wheels off myself and leave the caravan on axle stands and winter wheels while getting the tyres changed. I normally get a bit of extra discount for taking the wheels in as it saves the fitters a lot of agro and they can do the tyres when they have a few minutes to spare. It does mean two trips to the tyre place but I normally work it in with something else. The place I use are quite happy to balance the wheels foc when replacing tyres 4 at a time.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
When we had our tyres replaced on our twin axle,I looked for the tyre size on the internet and on our particular van,Bailey Wyoming there was not much choice of brands for the size needed,I visited a local tyre fitter and they matched the net price.ordered the tyres for me and fitted them at their premises,they left the caravan attached to the car and jacked it,much like changing a wheel.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I moved away from Trailermaxx to fit a commercial van tyre Firestone Vanhawk made in the Bridgestone factory in Turkey. They are designed for white van man and seeing the state of roads in eastern Turkey I have confidence in their construction and robustness. Also buying van tyres you get more competition and choice and they are likely to be newer when you receive them.

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
...I have just replaced the tyres on our Sterling Europa, although they looked and seemed ok, £130 is ok for piece of mind! I too take my wheels off and take to the tyre fitter. I ordered them from Camskill - I purchased Hankook Vantra something or other (obviously the correct load rating and the rest), went to storage, attached the van to the car, jacked up one side and replcaed with the spare wheel (took the opportunity to lubricate all the relevant parts on the spare wheel carrier), lowered, jacked opposite side and replace with a winder wheel. My tyre fitter is also a good friend and keen caravanner, so is 'appreciative' so to speak!
Would be worth checking with the tyre fitter that he can deal with Tyron bands if you have them, and I had mine balanced etc too.
If you get the van done on your drive, you might need to have the chassis manual handy as a point of reference for the fitter so he can double check the lifting points, OR, as its a twin axle - my mother in law has a T/A horsebox, and carries something that she calls a 'trailer-saver' essentially, when she got a flat a while ago, with horse onboard, all she does is pull the trailer up onto a ramp like device (looks like a leveling ramp) to unload the flat tyre, thus enabling the change without jacking - is this possible for a caravan?
Cheers
Rob

May 15, 2007
Visit site
Ordered 4 tyres , Nexon and payed £50 each , about the best i could do without having to travel miles so having them fitted on Thursday. Thanks for your help.

G

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts